Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Golden Memories (campaign idea)
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 369 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2020 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hello everyone!
My first update of my project in the campaign. The model is great, with serious detail of the chassis and interior.
I am pleased with the model. Here are some photos from my work progress.

Have fun.
Kalin
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2020 - 10:02 AM UTC
You've made a great start Kalin, and it does look very well detailed which adds so much more depth to it. Were you part of vehicle crew or an infantry passenger ??
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2020 - 06:40 PM UTC
Nice work there Kalin. A lot of detail in that one...
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2020 - 07:26 PM UTC
Nice "bathtub", Batze!

I guess riding it was a special sort of fun in torrential rain (a swimming pool on 8 wheels)

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2020 - 10:44 PM UTC
Lol, very good point Angel, I didn't even think of that... It must of been grim in wet windy winter weather ... A bath tub then a frozen one.... There must of been a lot a sad, wet fed up troops in those conditions....

I take it that the frame work you see had some sort of canvas cover for bad weather ??

Did the troops have the only option of doing a very unglamorous and hi profile target risk of dismounting over the top and down the side ? Or go for a dismount in a safe area and then the wagon was used as support on the fight through ?
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 07:53 AM UTC
Yes John, it had a canvas top:

and 'over the top boys' was the way to go

Unless the set up for parades had troops sit up higher than normal, which I suspect is actually the case when you look at the canvas top position, then scrambling over the side, or through the itty bitty side doors could be the least of their worries - a snipers dream...

k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 09:17 AM UTC
Thank you gentlemen for the kind feedback.
John, I've only ever driven such a machine once. I was trained as a reserve officer, a motorized infantry, and my seat was in the passenger compartment of an APC.
Angel, it's no different than being on the border in rainy weather.
It's worse to ride in an MTLB: the smell of diesel in a tight space without light, rides like a cart, the noise of the engine is insane, and when you exit the MTLB you don't know if you're alive. The BTR 60P was like a limousine, and above the sky, the stars, the sun ... there was rain ...
Good luck and have fun.
Kalin
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Angel, it's no different than being on the border in rainy weather...

Yes and no, Batze...

Being summoned and shipped to guard the border in torrential rain is the highest honour for a Borderguard!

Detachment Commanding Officer used to say
"No better weather for the Border Guardsman than the cold mix of rain, haze and wind!"

On the other hand- once deployed there, one could easily find some useful ferns to hide under( particularly around old minefields).
Or could snap some tree branches and improvise a shelter.

In the rare case of being honoured to guard in the open- quite a rare occasion, because of the rugged (High Blue Rhodope Mountains) terrain- one could always pretend to be a mushroom- growing bigger and stronger because of rain.That also helped

Main difference- because the border runs at a relatively high altitude, the rain water is always flowing down the slope and away from your feet. Not collecting under them

ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 10:40 AM UTC
Bit more on my Border Guard R-142N:

I sprayed the chassy with Mr.Surfacer 1500 Black (it serves both as a primer and basecolor).

And started scratchbuilding the box:

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 10:31 PM UTC
You're doing some great stuff there Angel, it's coming together really nicely, the scratch box body will look great, will you try and leave the roof or rear detachable as it will be a shame not to see all that amazing detail I know you will be adding ??

On another note, does anyone know how to go about setting up a campaign gallery for this as Svetoslav has already finished his great little entry, and also awarding the campaign ribbon ?
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 10:51 PM UTC
John, thanks!

I intend to leave some doors and the generator hatch open(yes, I'll build the generator too), and will probably install working lights(LED's) in the box. That would make enough of the interior visible, I think.

With regard to Campaign Gallery- it is created by Campaign Administrator, so you should ask Richard.

Awarding ribbons takes place after the Campaign is over.

There is a special button in Campaign Rule and Regulations Page, that's called Award Ribbons.It is is only present for the Campaign Leader(you), others don't see it.

When you press the Award Ribbons button, you'll see a list of all participant, with an empty box to the right of each name. If you click on the box, a tick will appear.

At the bottom of the list there is an Award Ribbons button.Once you mark all participant, that finished their entries and press this button, each participant will receive his ribbon.
Prove for succesfull participation are pictures uploaded to Campaign Gallery.

HTH
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 11:25 PM UTC
Thanks Angel, that did indeed answer all my queries, I will try and get hold of Richard unless he picks up on these messages.

Also Angel, the campaign ribbon you designed, do you have to send that to me so I upload it, or does it get sent to Richard ? If it's me that does it, can you send it to me ? John
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 01:10 AM UTC
Campaign Leader approves and loads the ribbon through the "Admin:Add/Update Award Image" button on Rules and Regulations page.

In our Campaign the ribbon is already loaded, so you don't need to take any further actions John,

HTH
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi! Second update of my project in the campain. The model is built and the basic color is applied.

Right now is the most important of my work. The weathering ...
Have fun. Kalin
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 09:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the update Angel, I just need to get the campaign gallery sorted ... Cool.

Kalin, the BTR is looking great with what you've done, it looks pretty well detailed, were you happy with it all ?

I hope you didn't suffer to many hurt knees jumping off it all the time in your infantry days ..
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 10:26 AM UTC
Looking good so far Angel. How is Evergreen doing in the Stock Market? You must be keeping them quite buoyant!

Kalin. Looking sensational. Love the colour effect.
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 09:57 PM UTC
You're welcome, John!

Kalin, I hope we'll see a very battered training vehicle! Otherwise- the BTR 60P looks simply splendid,

Peter, thanks!
I hope both Evergreen and Plastruct show only black digits in their reporting sheets- them being around is essential for my modelling

BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 397 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 08:25 AM UTC
Kalin, love what you done so far. Nice model, take your time with weathering...
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thank Bogi, we are acting on a plan ...
I'm trying to remember what the BTR-60P looked like at the time. There was no mud, the paint was worn to metal in certain places, but my overall vision was lost.
Kalin
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 08:56 AM UTC
You might use some artistic license, Kalin

Back to my build.

The box body has all external walls and the bottom cut to shape, I still need to cut the internal wall and the roof.All openings in the external walls(2 doors,2 windows and the generator hatch) are also cut.

Then I had the immense fun of building the AB-1/P-30 generator:

This is the location of the generator in the box body:

When used to power the radiosets, the generator was carried away from the truck (its engine was pretty noisy):

Next I'll paint it and build the rest of the generator compartment,

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 10:57 AM UTC
Angel, that is amazing. Is the gene scratch built ?? The box body in itself is outstanding.
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 04:46 PM UTC
Thanks, John!

Yes, the generator is scratchbuilt to pictures and measurments found online.Building it was a nice challenge

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 10:49 PM UTC
Just astonishing Angel. A little Gem on its own.
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 11:40 PM UTC
Thanks Peter!

Building small subjects like this generator provides one basic challenge-how to make sure that bits can undergo some shaping and forming once they are cut to rough shape.
It is more mental, than hand work

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 01:03 AM UTC
In that case Angel you are truly mental lol .. but seriously, that generator is fantastic, it's a work of art in its own right .. it should be put into manufacture so people could buy it...!!