Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Golden Memories (campaign idea)
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 03:34 AM UTC
Hi everyone. I have been watching and learning from these forums (mostly AFV based) for many years now and I have a burning question.
Before the question though, I have to say I am not a guru in organising a campaign so if this idea hasn't ever been done before or even if its a rehash of an original idea, I would happily step aside for someone with a lot more experience in these things to get it running .... now the idea ....

Has there ever been a campaign for modellers with ex military service to make models of the vehicles they have served in ?? it would be across the board, land based, aircraft and sea going vessels. But you would of had to of served and spent real time on that piece of equipment.
I thought it would be a cool idea as it would bring together people with the same passion for models from so many countries, and so many different branches of those military forces.

Edited Section from original post;

Here are the Rules/Conditions:
1. Build any vehicle/ship/aircraft you, your relatives/ancestors or a close friend have crewed/served in with a small back story.
2. All scales.
3. All eras.
4. No previously started kits.
5. Dios welcome.
6. Aftermarket add-ons welcome.
7. Build blogs are encouraged, but build for this campaign only.
8. At least two in-progress pictures posted in the campaign thread.
9. At least two pictures of the completed model in the campaign gallery.
10. Once a completed picture has been uploaded into the campaign gallery, a campaign ribbon will be awarded.

Participants may make more than one model for the campaign, but only 1 award ribbon will be issued.

Proposed start date: 01 Feb 2020 – End Date 31 Dec 2020.
End date may be extended if needs arise.

Interested parties:

Myself
Ayovtshev
Ivanhoe6
Kevlar06
White4doc
PasiAhopelto
Oliver
TankSGT
K_mero4
MichaelSatin

Link for campaign gallery

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/31936

John
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 05:29 AM UTC
I think it's a great idea John !
Don't know if it was ever done before but that's never stopped a second or even a 5th campaign before.
I hope that this does take off. It would be fun to see a "man & his machine" build.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 08:43 PM UTC
I hope it does gather a few more interested people Ivanhoe .... it seemed like a good idea when i had it lol. I just thought it would offer so many different outlooks on how people have served in the military ... and at the same time, bring back some happy memories .... i will keep my fingers crossed that a few more add comments or agreement with the idea.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 - 04:14 AM UTC
I think it's a great idea. I don't participate in campaigns, but I might be persuaded to do so in this one. I even have three or four subjects in mind I've been planning for some time. But, I might add that rather than make this an "exclusive group" only for those who served, how about adding craft that parents might have crewed too-- that way younger modelers can also participate.
VR, Russ
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 - 05:12 AM UTC
Good suggestion Russ. While I never served my Father did. He lied about his age and joined up at 16 in 1938, to get off the farm. Stayed in until he passed in '72. Closing out his career in the Michigan National Guard, in a Combat Engineer Company.

On the bar in the NCO club was a large picture somebody painted of a snorting, fire breathing bull driving a bulldozer. I'd be in with one of MiniArt's bulldozer kits. Ultimate kit bash would be to mount a bull's head to a driver figure.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 - 06:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it's a great idea. I don't participate in campaigns, but I might be persuaded to do so in this one. I even have three or four subjects in mind I've been planning for some time. But, I might add that rather than make this an "exclusive group" only for those who served, how about adding craft that parents might have crewed too-- that way younger modelers can also participate.
VR, Russ

Hi there Russ, and thanks for joining in with the chat .... I was thinking about the son/daughter aspect like you mentioned so they could model platforms that their parents served on and I think it would work fine with that as part of the rules if it ever got off the ground. On a side note, i saw your reply to the "when to reply" to forum which were pretty spot on. May I ask what you part of the Mil you were in and what you were crewed on ?

Your bit about the children crafting models that their parents served on rang home when Ivanhoe mentioned about his Dad and how he could remember him by doing he bash build of the engineer dozer.

I think if this does gain momentum and become a campaign then a more experienced member or staffer may need to take the helm and organise the finer details ....

I shall have to start saving up for the Accurate A resin CVRT Striker ( I was a Veh Crew Commander while in UK with the Blues and Royals )
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 - 09:12 PM UTC
Spot on proposal, John!

I'll join with a GAZ-66 based R-142N KShtM(Command Vehicle), I served on for almost a year some 25 years ago.
The truck will come from Trumpeter, while Kung(box) and interior will be scratchbuilt.

I think I will also be able to "persuade" a friend of mine, who is also a member here, to join in.

With regard to leading a campaign-I've done this, so you can also do it:
-You've already accomplished the most difficult task-coming up with an appealing campaign idea!
-You evidently listen to the proposals other give!
-You give feedback and encourage others!
All the rest are purely technical matters(submitting a proposal and awarding ribbons), that are splendidly covered by tutorials.
So don't step back

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 - 10:05 PM UTC
Angel, thanks for your comments and support. I know really hope this gets some momentum and it can be planned properly for Jan 2020 so everyone can get ready.

It was good to hear you say it isnt that difficult to set up a campaign, so I may well stay at the helm ....but be prepared for me asking you for lots of advice in the set up later on lol.

I just did a silly thing and back counted through my 35 years to date in the Army and listed everything I have been crewed on .... it comes in at 20 vehicles lol .... this could be a long campaign !!
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 - 11:04 PM UTC
John,

With 35 years of service... I can imagine 20+ vehicles

I'll be glad to help!

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 07:12 AM UTC
Did a little research (Wikipedia) on my Father's Michigan National Guard unit. 107th Combat Engineer Battalion. Quite impressive !
Spanish American War, in 1916 served on the US/Mexican Border the Pancho Villa Expedition under Black Jack Pershing then with the AEF in WWI as part of the 32nd Div or the "Red Arrow". WWII once again with the 32nd Div. during the BoB defended Bullingen Belgium receiving a Presidential Unit Citation. Most famous for building the Victor Bridge, the longest floating bridge,1370 feet, over the Rhine ! Attached to Patton's 3rd into Czechoslovakia at Pilsen and were some of the first troops to make contact with Soviet forces.

BUT, he wasn't in the 107th at the time. He was in at one of the most saddest parts of modern US history, the 1967 Detroit Riots. M47's, M48's & M113's were used, 48 rioters were killed. His task was to protect firemen from snipers. Shooting at the people who were trying to save your block from burning. They were sent out with fixed bayonets on their M1 carbines & Garand's.
The riots started because the Detroit Police brutally shut down an after hours bar. I guess enough was enough !
On the lighter side.. There were some major blizzards shutting down Highway US 2 where 100's of motorists were stranded and County equipment couldn't cope with the snow.

Sorry to ramble, but this unit in a beautiful but tiny backwater area contributed so much to US history. History I knew nothing about until this proposed campaign. All I was trying to do was find a picture of the Snorting Bulldozing Bull to post.
Still didn't find a good one...
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 10:08 PM UTC
I think everyone will that was a fair ramble lol ...

Main thing is, it opened up a bit more the history of what your Dad did in his past during his military exploits so you get more of an idea about him, which is always a good thing i think. And it may of been a sad part of U.S history, but every country has those.

The point to take is that those service personnel from the 107th CEB who had to take part in the incident were at the time doing their duty as they saw it and as they had been directed to for the greater good, and didn't shy away from it; and as you rightly said, they were protecting other duty bound firefighters from being shot.

Keep hunting for that dozer, even without the bull it will be good to see.....
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 10:11 PM UTC
whoops ..... should of been ....

I think everyone will AGREE that .......
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi John,

Hope you did not give up on you splendid Campaign idea

I'm here waiting,

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 08:44 AM UTC
Thought I would give this a another airing to see if anyone else thinks its a good idea for a campaign in 2020...
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 10:31 AM UTC
Sorry I missed your last post angel ... glad you're still here with your fingers crossed hoping along with me that we get this off the ground...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 09:29 PM UTC
Thread moved from 'Modeling in General' to try to get more traction ...
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 10:06 PM UTC
Thanks for moving it to armourama Robin, hopefully the a few more may get the urge to lend support
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 10:39 PM UTC
I was thinking about a name, that describes the idea behind this campaign-
what about "Golden Memories" Campaign?
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi Angel, and thanks for sticking with this idea... ref your campaign name idea ...I think that sounds just about perfect and reflects the concept exactly. We should go firm on the rules etc and then maybe think about a Feb start ?
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 02:11 AM UTC
I'm up for this, I think I have something in the stash I rode around in during my career - if not perfect excuse to buy more for the stash!!! Count me toward the 10.
PasiAhopelto
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 02:48 AM UTC
I think I could also join. There's conscription in Finland, and I was in infantry for 8 months. When we didn't walk we rode in early model of Sisu XA-180. Finmilmodels makes XA-180 kit in 1/72, but I don't have any photos so vehicle ID number will be a guess. And anyway we weren't assigned to a specific vehicle.
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 04:06 AM UTC
Thanks John!

And thanks John and Pasi!

I would propose following overview:

Dig in the past, find the Golden Memories from millitary service time and bring them to life again in scale

Rules and regulations might include:
-build any vehicle,ship or airplane you, your relatives/ancestors or friends served on.
-build in any scale
-no partially built kits allowed,
-use whatever aftermarket you find appropriate
-dioramas are welcomed,
-build blogs are encouraged, yet build for this campaign only,

There are also some standard rules like
-ribbon for those, who finished their builds within campaigns timeframe,
-progress pictures in campaign thread
-at least 3 pictures of finished build in campaign gallery.

We need to discuss campaign start time and duration.

All of the above is open for corrections and amendments,
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 06:15 AM UTC
Thats great and with John and Pasi jumping on thats potentially 6 of us ...
Angel, you see to have a great handle on this with the name and the rules in general so I would 100% happy if you want to run with it and take the lead .... I only ever really saw myself as the person sowing the seed of interest ?
I would only say about the main build rule being the item modelled is one served in by the modeller or that his immediate family served on, father, son or brother, I thought would make it a bit more personal. And a Feb start ? If it went on long enough, I would try and do 3 main vehicles I served on...a bit daunting lol
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 10:58 PM UTC
Some sad news for me , accurate armour have stopped producing the 1/35 CVRT Striker ... there goes one of my builds...
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 07:27 AM UTC
So, we have potentially 6 at the moment, only 4 more to the magic 10 to make it happen.
Over the next day or so I will list the revised campaign rules, the main one being that it will also cater for friends of modellers who have served, hopefully this will open it to a wider audience.
Does this thread have to be renamed as a "Proposal - Golden Memories" ? If so, how is that done or is it ok as it is ...
Time frame would be probably Feb to September 2020....
Pass the word !!!!