Hosted by Darren Baker
My First Snows of the Year
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 09:56 PM UTC
I concur with Brian... Markings first, then the weathering...
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It is a worn white wash. Looking good from here G.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks, glad you think it looks okay, but maybe a little too worn, .

You'll have to let me know where to go and check out pics of your latest builds?

Cheers, ,

G

G,

It’s hard for me to say too worn, as I cannot see what you envision as the end goal. If you feel it is too worn, then for you it’s too worn. Think of it as the wash wears off in 30 days, you might be going for say day 25 and it looks like day 27.

I am working on the Leopard and German campaign builds. Should be able to do updates towards the end of the week.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However, if you have any suggestions as to how to scratch build 'wipers', or any alternatives, I'm sure he'd be glad of any information, .

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G

My tips above apply to his build or any requiring missing wipers.
In the case of the Bussing nag, now that I know what it is, it would be pretty straight forward, made of three pieces: One short (1 mm) section of rod for the pivot, a tapered piece of .020 for the wiper arm, and a thin piece of .010 for the actual wiping surface.

Or you could just purchase the Voyager PE set for it.
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gareth,

All this lovely weathering but you appear to have omitted the markings; after application you'll have to go through some of the processes again to tie them in.

Brian

Hi Brian,

My apologies, I know it irritates you but I'm not a fan of decals as it ties one to a specific vehicle which, in reality, might never have looked as it has been modelled, .

I always try to hide the areas where decals are intended to be affixed so as to reduce the impact caused by their absence, .

But your comments are always welcome as they help keep me close to the track, if not exactly on it, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I concur with Brian... Markings first, then the weathering...

Hi Erwin,

See me my comments/response to Brian, and please accept my apologies, I appreciate your feedback and realise that in reality you're both correct in your comments, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It’s hard for me to say too worn, as I cannot see what you envision as the end goal. If you feel it is too worn, then for you it’s too worn. Think of it as the wash wears off in 30 days, you might be going for say day 25 and it looks like day 27.

I am working on the Leopard and German campaign builds. Should be able to do updates towards the end of the week.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your 30 day feedback, I like your logic...27 is my lucky number, .

I shall look up your builds in the campaigns you've referenced, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My tips above apply to his build or any requiring missing wipers.
In the case of the Bussing nag, now that I know what it is, it would be pretty straight forward, made of three pieces: One short (1 mm) section of rod for the pivot, a tapered piece of .020 for the wiper arm, and a thin piece of .010 for the actual wiping surface.

Or you could just purchase the Voyager PE set for it.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the 'wiper' feedback, it's much appreciated, hopefully Erwin (Golikell) will find it useful in his truck build, .

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi all.

If anyone recalls below is the image of my original idea for the diorama.

So this morning I have spent a couple of hours roughing out the diorama base for my Churchill using scrap cardboard.

There are two similar options (see images below).

Option 1: Has a section of sloping road meeting up with the main road.

Option 2: The sloping road has been replaced with a sloping path and steps.

Looking to create areas where 'snow' would collect.

Any views or advice would be appreciated as to the composition, .

Cheers, ,

G
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 10:23 PM UTC
Well, the truck is ready, and so is the dio...

As for places where snow collects: specially in corners, along ridges like the sidewalk, and, if there are any, on the seams of cobbles (if there is a very thin layer of snow, that is)
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 11:07 PM UTC
Of course I’m devastated you rejected my freezer idea…AND went ahead with the whitewash…AND the revised buildings/terrain ideas are just terrible. You must ensure NOT to keep an open window or door in those buildings, so that you CAN’T take any photos through to the tank from the back side of the dio…and as long as you keep ignoring this advice I think it’s highly likely to look %$*&(*! brilliant
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 02:47 AM UTC
Personally I like the roads more than the steps.
Coincidentally I saw a great pic on FB yesterday looking much like your scene with Crommys and Fireflies going up an inclined road in Liseux in aug44. &th Arm Div.
J
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, the truck is ready, and so is the dio...

As for places where snow collects: specially in corners, along ridges like the sidewalk, and, if there are any, on the seams of cobbles (if there is a very thin layer of snow, that is)

Hi Erwin,

I have checked out your finished build, it's excellent, .

It's going to be a fairly heavy fall of snow, so much of the cobbles will be hidden, hence wanting to incorporate lots of corners for snow to drift in to.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course I’m devastated you rejected my freezer idea…AND went ahead with the whitewash…AND the revised buildings/terrain ideas are just terrible. You must ensure NOT to keep an open window or door in those buildings, so that you CAN’T take any photos through to the tank from the back side of the dio…and as long as you keep ignoring this advice I think it’s highly likely to look %$*&(*! brilliant

Hi Tim,

Can't afford the electricity for a freezer, nor the space as the existing one is stocked to the gunwales with anti chinese Covid 19 lockdown provisions...and you can't buy new freezers for love nor money at the moment...so had to put your 'cool' idea on 'ice', .

Thanks for the negative positive feedback...think that's right, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally I like the roads more than the steps.
Coincidentally I saw a great pic on FB yesterday looking much like your scene with Crommys and Fireflies going up an inclined road in Liseux in aug44. &th Arm Div.
J

Hi Jerry,

My apologies, I started with the steps idea, thought they would give me more nooks and crannies to drift my snow in to... .

Will 'google' and see if I can find the image you're referring to, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi all,

It's been a tad betty swollocks here today, so decided to protect my fair complexion by staying out of the midday sun...it's just not true what they say about mad dogs and Englishmen, ...and do a tad more to develop the base for my Churchill (see images below).

Cheers, ,

G
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gareth,

All this lovely weathering but you appear to have omitted the markings; after application you'll have to go through some of the processes again to tie them in.

Brian

Hi Brian,

My apologies, I know it irritates you but I'm not a fan of decals as it ties one to a specific vehicle which, in reality, might never have looked as it has been modelled, .

I always try to hide the areas where decals are intended to be affixed so as to reduce the impact caused by their absence, .

But your comments are always welcome as they help keep me close to the track, if not exactly on it, .

Cheers, ,

G

Gareth,

Whilst I understand your reluctance in accidentally depicting a particular vehicle and then being "caught out" as it were, I feel, and of course, you may not share this at all, that the application of markings, as with antennae, bring the model alive; plus of course, sometimes a bit of much needed colour.

Even if you don't wish to display such markings, you will still need a vehicle serial number, even if say, devised from several decals to fictionalise it.

You might wish to read "Mailed Fist" by John Foley; he describes his experiences in the Second World War as a Troop Comd of Churchills and evokes just such a wintry scene when deployed in the Ardennes. In fact, I thought of the book when I first saw your scene. He was in 34 Tk Bde I recall (I haven't much to hand at the moment to confirm) anyway, the markings for that should be easily enough available even if from after-market suppliers.

I really don't think markings as such will hold you up to too much scrutiny - there is so much more reference material available these days - and as I say, will bring it all "alive".

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 05:35 AM UTC
Lots of interesting angles going on. Nice.
J
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gareth,

Whilst I understand your reluctance in accidentally depicting a particular vehicle and then being "caught out" as it were, I feel, and of course, you may not share this at all, that the application of markings, as with antennae, bring the model alive; plus of course, sometimes a bit of much needed colour.

Even if you don't wish to display such markings, you will still need a vehicle serial number, even if say, devised from several decals to fictionalise it.

You might wish to read "Mailed Fist" by John Foley; he describes his experiences in the Second World War as a Troop Comd of Churchills and evokes just such a wintry scene when deployed in the Ardennes. In fact, I thought of the book when I first saw your scene. He was in 34 Tk Bde I recall (I haven't much to hand at the moment to confirm) anyway, the markings for that should be easily enough available even if from after-market suppliers.

I really don't think markings as such will hold you up to too much scrutiny - there is so much more reference material available these days - and as I say, will bring it all "alive".

Brian

Hi Brian,

I'll give that book a look-up, thank you!

As for markings, I will add some dummy serial numbers and any insignia that I consider relatively neutral, weight numbers and such like, where they might still be visible after dirtying down and adding stowage, etc, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lots of interesting angles going on. Nice.
J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the kind words and your continued support, much appreciated, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:14 AM UTC
Hi all,

After a few days away from the build I've had a try-out of my cheap-as-chips wall building method (see images below).

It's basically cardboard from various packaging, brown paper that is used to protect the items delivered in the aforementioned cardboard packaging, and lashings of white glue, both neat and diluted, .

I've tried to show the wall instages, i.e. unpainted card and paper to the left and initial painting to the right.

Also got to play with my new cutting tool, expensive, but looking like it's going to be worth every penny, ,

Cheers, ,

G
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:23 AM UTC
You did a good job on the wall, with such simple materials!
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You did a good job on the wall, with such simple materials!

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for the positive feedback, still some way to go to getting it right, both construction and paint-wise, but if it works I'll use it for the road cobbles, and the building facades, .

Cheers, ,

G
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:57 AM UTC
I must say that it is very effective. If I want to make a wall myself, I certainly will get back to you to use this technique!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 01:56 AM UTC
Nice G-Man , making something out of nothing and what's laying around is a pleasure to watch and learn !!
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I must say that it is very effective. If I want to make a wall myself, I certainly will get back to you to use this technique!

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for the feedback, and feel free to pick my one brain cell regarding my methodology, .

Cheers, ,

G