Hosted by Darren Baker
I would like to propose a contest
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
This seems like a interesting idea. I have only made one small AFV before but I would like to do another. I wouldn't really care about prizes (I would be unlikely to win!) but I would like to participate in a group build. So if this goes ahead I would like to be involved.

P.S. I would have to agree with the majority in that the less rules the better.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:40 PM UTC
OK, sounds like we have some interest!

My only suggestions are; I like Steve's idea of mostly OOB but with some minor additions. I for one believe in adding small details like engine grills, better tools, etc. Even some minor PE. We could encourage OOB but allow some improvements as each sees fit.

As far as a prize. If no monetary award, how about just a small plaque for the top 3? Just something simple. If not, no big deal. And, if we could get the campaign ribbbon that would be great! I think it sould be more about the build than the award.

I really like what I'm hearing about people who mostly do WWII subjects wanting to try something new. I think that's the real imputus for wanting to do this.

I am really stumped about picking a particular time period or conflict though. In most contests I have seen, modern armor means anything after WWII. And, I've already heard about 4 different conflicts posted here already. I would hate to turn anyone off because we choose something too limiting...

Steve

PS - My 600th post!
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
I like the direction you're taking this. I think the Cold War Era would be really interesting to do, if a approriate kit can be found.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I too am all for not having a monetary or trophy award. I think it's fun just to participate in your own way - and if this becomes a Campaign - then the Campaign Ribbon is a nice thing to have upon completion.

First I want to agree with this, just add ribbons for those who participate not prizes. Second, I would love to take part in this.

If we are going to discuss rules, I would like to suggest something simple like anything currently in service anywhere in the world. OOB or minimal scratch/aftermarket to make the model accurate. If that is too modern than we can go back a ways, I don't want to exclude anyone thinking of expanding into something different from doing so by keeping it to modern.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:34 PM UTC
If it's going to be OOB with minor modifications, I'm in (depending on when this contest starts though). :-)
Re:prize, if ever, make it a kit or a plaque. GCs to a particular shop might not much use for some furriners like meself (unless there's such a thing as an online GC and could be used in an online hobby shop).
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 268 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 05:12 PM UTC
Just A Idea im Still new to Campaigns But wouldnt it be nice to have a no Airbrush Rule That way us guys without em would still have a chance with our brushes #:-)
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 05:27 PM UTC
I doubt that a no airbrush rule would go over well

I would not support it myself(i never could get a good finish with brushes)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 05:39 PM UTC
Jan is working on the rules/procedures for Campaigns. It will likely help with an effort like this. In terms of the overall Campaign system we (the site) do want to try to make sure that there is enough interest in any proposed campaign AND that it's start and stop times work well with the other campaigns that might be in the works.

This one certainly looks to have some interest.

Cheers,
Jim

PS: I am going to run a virtual armor campaign once the server change takes place. Mission Models has dontated one of their nifty hold-n-fold units and that will be the grand prize.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 05:43 PM UTC
Ok.....well since I have just finished a 12 hr shift...and I never got to this post until now...I will give my 2 cents.

I like the Cold War Idea, or the post 1970....but leaning towards the Cold War idea.....I have some BRDMs I could use......where as most would go with US tracks....I could go with a Soviet recon vehicle...lol.

Prizes mean nothing to me....a GC would be nice....but a campaign ribbon for everyone that participated would be cool!! I am just tickled that there is a campaign that I can get into...something that I build!!! I don't have much that is Cold War Era....ie: early 70s...as most of mine is modern, modern....ie: 90's and up, with the exception of a couple of BRDMs, and a BMP....although....if the cold war got hot....there is nothing saying that M1s and M2/3s or T-80s wouldn't have been involved.....maybe the "HOT" war raged on for years!!!

Now as far as OOB goes...I think this is where you can potentially loose alot of people from contributing, as too many rules and amendments get changed and hashed out. The way I see it...if its OOB...its OOB....no additions. Allowing some leeway, like some minor scratch building, well you will have to lay down some ground rules as to what would be allowed and what wouldn't be. For example some of you have seen my BTR-80 I recently finished...and if not...you can go here to see it.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/8878&page=1

Now this is out of the box, the only things extra I did was make the cam net, packs and tiedowns, replaced the kits plastic handles around the BTR with metal rod.....mainly becasue I read it on here, and becasue the kit handles sucked, and always broke....and the metal actually looks better and more realistic, made a tow cable and barbed wire. The tow cable, barb wire and the packs and bed rolls, I learned how to make from articles on this site. In my opinion....to allow anything beyond OOB, I wouldn't want it to go beyond these and similar addons, IE: no $30 PE, or resin parts to make it look better!!

Just my opinion....and since it is finally a subject I can relate to...I am in!!
joina25
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:42 PM UTC
Personally i would love to be involved in a campaign cold war to present would be good (as that is my field of interest) where as most would go with US equipment I would have to go with mainly modern Uk Equipment Cheiftain Chalenger Lrover maybe, you go me thinking hard now
Joina
80a2
Visit this Community
Flevoland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 144 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:31 PM UTC
I like the prodject Cold war era sounds intresting only i like those new armor more
The endless IDF mods of M60 and M113 etc. etc. I would say from the end of the korean war till these days.... anybody like this idee?????

anyway as long as it is post WWII
Steve
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC
I think now it should just be post WW2, as many people are interested in different things, personnaly I don't like the "only cold war" idea, this is a modern "campaign" and I want to build something MODERN, such as a Leopard 2, Cheiftan, or Abrams....

-Steve
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 02:27 AM UTC
So what should it be :
a quick start so that it ends around the start of the barbarossa campaign,
or something later ?

If it's OOB only, then people shouldn't be afraid of taking part to that campaign plus another one like the dio campaign (needing a bit more ime, at least for me) !

I'm interested, and if it's not during my holiday's I'll be in !
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 02:31 AM UTC
I would be interested in participating. OOB would suit me. Prize(s) not much of a motivator. Post-1969 sounds interesting. KISS as to the rules. How long of a period of time to build would be suggested?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC
I'm encouraged that I'm not the only one interested in "Cold War" subjects - but - don't confuse that with excluding "modern" times. The Cold War period ran through the 1950's until the Wall came down in the 1980's in my mind - that included Abrams and Leopards too. It is a wide enough period that all but the most recent items (Desert Storm and later) in modern inventories can be included.

Additionally, most arsenals were factored in one "side" or the other in Cold War strategies - even the Independent French Armed Forces. Cold War is quite inclusionary - not exclusionary like other specific conflicts mentioned - allowing for many subjects to be included in the wide time period.

I wouldn't participate in an "airbrush excluded" activity either. Just no fun there for me and I have no desire to rediscover the "joys of handpainting" I left behind almost 20 years ago - but you guys could go and knock yourselves out without me! I'd cheer you all on just the same!

Gunnie
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
I Think Ill Join too! I Got a TAMIYA 1/35 M151A2 w/TOW MISSLE LAUNCHER I Bought on Ebay On the way Got it for $7.00! Once i get it im gonna Try The 3 Camo Painting article Tips And try some weathering! Tommorow ill check if Hobby Lobby has a Bradley I might enter that Instead but i just wanted the Mutt
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:43 AM UTC
Was the vietnam war also a part of the cold war??? probably a stupid question but I have mostly been interested in ww2 subjects so I only know the vehicles of vietnam war and I picked something up from television but the war in vietnam was also all about communism right??

Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:49 AM UTC
Nope Cold War was in 80's If you ever Played Operation Flashpoint thats the cold war Dont know much about it except the Vehicles etc.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm encouraged that I'm not the only one interested in "Cold War" subjects - but - don't confuse that with excluding "modern" times. The Cold War period ran through the 1950's until the Wall came down in the 1980's in my mind -
Gunnie

this is what I read in a previous post from guntruck and if I`m correct with my history then the Vietnam war was from 1960 till 1975. So that falls just in the cold war period but I`m asking was it part of the cold war conflict. I have to say that it wasn`t really a cold war if you ask me.

penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:07 AM UTC
Korea and Vietnam could be seen as the hot spots of the cold war... so I would say OK for vietnam subjects !
Israely or Arab subjects would be more difficult to place in a cold war campaign on the other hand...
Well, both these statements are my personnal opinion !

I'm 100% OK for a cold war campaign !!!
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
I always thought the Cold war started in the 80's : See told ya I didnt know much about it
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
Cold War started at the end of WW2 with the dividing up of conquered Europe. Heated up with the Korean War (50s), Cuban Missile Crisis (60s), Berlin Wall (60s), Vietnam (60s & 70s). Even the invasion of Grenada, wars in Central America (US backed vs. Soviet backed) and even our supply Afghanistan rebels with Stingers to fight against the Soviets. Its end began with the collapse of the Berlin Wall/Reunification of Germany and ended with the fall of the Soviet Union.

My Cold War certificate lists the dates as 2 September 1945 to 26 December 1991.
Steve
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hi,
I think post 1980 vehicles SHOULD be aloud, just because I think alot of people like myself would like to build vehicles currently in service, or used in Dessert Storm, ect. I mean this is a MODERN campaign, not a cold war campaign, although I think Cold war vehicles should be aloud, we should not restrict it to Cold War only...

I do not like the idea of no airbrushes, to the extent I probably wouldn't even bother to enter if that was a rule, for the people who think it is unfair because they do not have airbrushes, maybe you should look into one, even just a cheap one, I mean if you're going to continue in this hobby you're going to need an airbrush eventually for painting tanks...

-Steve
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
So Vietnam would be ok for in the cold war period contest. I really want to do something Vietnam.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
The Cold War is an expression of US and Soviet military-political strategy/ideologies that played out on the Global Stage from the end of the Korean War through the destruction of the Berlin Wall. There were times that the thrust and counterthrust of mutually assured destruction nuclear policy got "hot" - and the will of the two sides were played out conventionally - in different guises - and not directly against each other.

These "hot" spots resulted in the Berlin Crisis, the Vietnam War, the War in Afghanistan, the Invasion Chechoslovakia, the Cuban Missile Crisis, all the African Wars, etc and etc, events that occured during this 30-odd year time span. The confrontation between Communist and Capitalist ideals is a manifestation of Cold War tactics waged by these two superpowers. Soviet or US equipment and money was supplied to fuel regional conflicts in support of one side or the other - sometimes not remotely appearing to be a part of the differences between the two. The Cold War was like playing the game RISK - but in reality.

It isn't readily apparant that Cold War strategy between the US and Soviet Union could have played a role in ancient and deep regional conflicts like the Arab-Israeli Wars or the Indian-Pakistani Wars - until you look at who supplied whom and who supported whom throughout.

I didn't make the suggestion to be so esoteric that one had to think about all of this stuff - but offered it up to present a wide timeframe for modeling adventures. Out of all the "modern" conflicts and subjects - none encompasses more than the way the US and Soviets waged the "Cold War" in different parts of the world, in different guises, for as long as they did.

Sure, we could narrow the field, but going with the Cold War setting things are pretty broad for model subjects.

Gunnie