Hosted by Darren Baker
I would like to propose a contest
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC

I would like to try starting a contest for those interested in Modern Armor.

Not sure if this is allowed, but I would be willing to provide the prizes (or would like to get some help from members with this) and was thinking of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. 1st place would be $30 in value or a gift certificate, 2nd $20, 3rd $10. (The prizes could be bigger if anyone wants to help out with funding.)

So, it's more about building and participating rather than some huge prizes. Maybe the winner could write-up a small build article, etc...

I think the requirements could be decided by those interested in participating. Also the judging, dates, etc.

I think this would be a good way to get some more interest in modern armor and also reward people for their good work.

If there is any interest in this, please let me know. If this kind of thing is not allowed on Armorama, please fogive me asking. I don't think the contest has to be associated with any manufactures, stores, etc. Rather a freindly build between Armorama members.

Steve

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:34 AM UTC
FYI - Sounds like a campaign - and a good one at that. I know a new diorama campaign is going to be starting and it will be modern in nature as far as era.
I checked the 'how to start a campaign' link and the 'official instructions' aren't available yet.
I do know that there has been discussion about trying to have limited campaigns going at any one time. So my recommendation is to take an interest pole here and get assistance from Jim and or the editors on what campaigns are about to start and how they would like to handle it.

Hats off to you on the initiative.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:45 AM UTC
Good idea Steve! Just one question: will it be a "virtual" or a "phisical" contest? If it will be virtual I'd love to partecipate!!!
Ciao ( )
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:46 AM UTC
I think you have a good idea Steve. I don't know if I would enter, but I'd be willing to contribute a few bucks to the prize fund. PM me if you get things organized. :-)
Chuck
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:48 AM UTC

I had suggested a modern armor campaign a couple weeks ago, but I don't know if there was interest.

I think by making it a contest with prizes may help to generate interest. And, realisticly, I figure there may be 10 entries. With 3 prizes awarded, the odds of winning something will be pretty good!

Also, this won't have to be quite a involved as a diorama, so it may not need to last more than a month or two.

Also, maybe this could run in conjunction with a dio campaign. Maybe vehicles used in peoples dios could be eligable for judging.

Steve
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good idea Steve! Just one question: will it be a "virtual" or a "phisical" contest? If it will be virtual I'd love to partecipate!!!
Ciao ( )

Well, I think virtual would be easiest. (And cheapest!)

We could have either voting or (better) several judges.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:01 AM UTC
If it will be virtual would be much more easy to participate from Italy. For what concerns prizes I've got a very tiny decal production which pays back the hobby and I can contribute with some decal series. They are mainly about Italian AFVs. You can see what I've got at the site awd.interfree.it (this is also in english).
PfcGreen
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:59 AM UTC
Sounds fun, I might be interested in partcipating.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC

All those interested please respond.

And, why not give some ideas of what you would like to see as far as any rules or guidelines?

I also think it might be neat to give a small trophy or plaque to the winner. That would be something for the workbench or display shelf.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:22 AM UTC
I'm interested!

Rules & Guidelines - KISS - keep it short and simple. Piling on and adding a whole bunch of conditions and "fluff" turns me and I'd bet a lot of other modelers off. It kills the fun in whole idea.

Other than that - choose something that everyone has good and easy access for in the way of modeling. I'd shy away from "Angloa - the Never Ending Battles" - too dang esoteric for most modelers. "Desert Storm I and or II" is something easy to find references electronically on the Internet and there are good, inexpensive models out there to get if one doesn't have them.

And lastly, make it appealing to all. Hey - I love US Cold War and 1950's Atomic Battlefield Ordnance subjects. No one else does So, that wouldn't be a theme that I'd toss out there. Same thing for you guys who like Soviet Ordnance used in Angola...

Gunnie
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:24 AM UTC
I have an interest and would sugget that maybe putting a particular kit up for prizes, rather than money, MAY be more fun. But it is only my opinion.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm interested!

Rules & Guidelines - KISS - keep it short and simple. Piling on and adding a whole bunch of conditions and "fluff" turns me and I'd bet a lot of other modelers off. It kills the fun in whole idea.

Other than that - choose something that everyone has good and easy access for in the way of modeling. I'd shy away from "Angloa - the Never Ending Battles" - too dang esoteric for most modelers. "Desert Storm I and or II" is something easy to find references electronically on the Internet and there are good, inexpensive models out there to get if one doesn't have them.

And lastly, make it appealing to all. Hey - I love US Cold War and 1950's Atomic Battlefield Ordnance subjects. No one else does So, that wouldn't be a theme that I'd toss out there. Same thing for you guys who like Soviet Ordnance used in Angola...

Gunnie

I was thinking of any post WWII AFV to make sure everyone will be able to find a subject that is of interest.

This could be narrowed to something like Desert Storm (but there may be too many M1's) or US vs. USSR or Mid-East. Also, this could include softskins, artillery, etc.

As far as rules, I only think a timeline is necessary. But, I would like to see superdetailed, OOB, figures/no-figures, whatever. The winners would be deternined by what 'looks best,' what looks most accurate, what fits the guidelines best (whatever those are determined to be).

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have an interest and would sugget that maybe putting a particular kit up for prizes, rather than money, MAY be more fun. But it is only my opinion.

I was thinking of a gif certificate from a hobby retailer. But, kits would work too. Depends on what people want.

As suggested earlier, there was a possibility of decal sets.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 09:03 AM UTC
I'm with Gunnie on the KISS principle. IMHO, "modern" armor has really expanded into a few eras of its own:
1. Post WW2/Korea
2. Vietnam
3. Cold War
4. Desert Storm/Gulf War
5. Post Gulf War/Post Cold War

Most of the eras have some overlap in times, for instance, an M60 tank in Germany was in service at the same time an M48A3 was fighting in Vietnam, but both are in different categories. Same deal with a US Army M60A1 and a USMC M60A1 RISE/Passive w/ERA and mine plow. I've sort of stopped thinking of Korea as "modern".

Any way, my 2¢ is that we do a modern armor subject straight OOB. Buy a kit, open box, add glue & paint. That'll keep it relatively cheap.

BTW, I don't need prizes to motivate me to participate in group builds or campaigns, just a subject that interests me with simple rules (ever-changing rules were what kept me from participating in the Sci-Fi build).
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 09:41 AM UTC
I'm on board too! I prefer a kit to money as a prize. Any post WWII subject should be fine. Ciao
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:34 AM UTC
If it´s virtual I´m interested. I´m a WW2 modeler but I was thinking that to build some modern armor kits could be good for my armor collection, and this is a perfect ocation to start. It´s magic, last week I bought a Merkava Mk II. Where will you post the terms ? :-) :-) :-)
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:44 AM UTC
Here, here!!! If ya need a hand with anything, let me know and I'll do what I can to help you out.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
I`m in for almost every contest and though I am a ww2 modeler i really don`t mind what the subject of building is as long as i have clear rules, ending dates and guidelines.

preferably Vietnam though never built anything from that era before

but I will say that I`m not participating for the price whatever that will be ( a kit, a gift certificate) I`m participating to expand my own horizons just as I did in the winter campaign dio. The whole dio is made with techniques that I didn`t know before or never had the courage to do. That was my biggest victory. became third and was awarded with a ribbon wich I found was great. I really had the idea that I earned it and that was more important to me.

You can count me in for this one but for me it`s not the price. If it`s going to be a post ww2 subject and I really manage to finish something then I`m a winner for myself already.

Great idea and I hope more people will participate

Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:08 AM UTC
I'm in. I primarily do modern Canadian stuff but any modern subject would be interesting and a good change. I would recommend an ou of the box competition.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in. I primarily do modern Canadian stuff but any modern subject would be interesting and a good change. I would recommend an ou of the box competition.

I'm with Paul here too. To add to my KISS suggestion, I'd also add Paul's - and keep it really simple like Out of the Box. Hell - that's a challenge all by itself in resisting the urge to "add" something to the model.

Maybe, instead of selecting a conflict, maybe we could choose to model a modern armor subject from a particular country. We might see Canadian subjects, Israeli, US, British, and even Japanese tanks or softskins. That could be interesting too, with the mix of modelers we have on this site. Might even be nicer considering the state the World is currently in today - some modeling solidarity would do some good...

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any way, my 2¢ is that we do a modern armor subject straight OOB. Buy a kit, open box, add glue & paint. That'll keep it relatively cheap.

That's what I suggested.
Steve
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:41 PM UTC
Hi,
I like the idea of this contest, and have yet to do a modern AFV, however instead of totally OOTB, I think the following should be allowed:

-Any dry transfers or decals are allowed
-Tracks can be replaced with aftermarket tracks
-small details and corrections should be allowed, as long as they are only made of styrene or brass, no aftermarket parts, with the exception of something small like a shovel

And advanced warning of the contest should be givin, like it should start in the middle of April, this way people can have time to buy the kit they want, and research what vehicle they want to portray

Also, what would the timelines be, I think they should be more recent than post WW2, otherwise someone could build a Pershing or Sherman and call it modern armor, I think 1970 to present would be good...

Just some ideas, I think I'll enter, I want to build a Leopard...
-Steve
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:51 PM UTC
Now that it is mentioned, how about skipping the "real" prize, and awarding "virtual" ribbons over inthe sidebar. It woud be fun to get something like that as well, and would keep costs low.

I would suggest, for modern, anything, say, post-1969. That gives all of us some good stuff, over 30 years to work with, and will include Vietnam. I know Korea looses out, as well as most of the 60's, but this would at least narrow it down.

And you may want ot make it a build of a all plastic kit, rather tahn pitting a SKIF 2S3 Gvozdika against a resin AEF Designs one...UGH, who would win? :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:59 PM UTC
Well Sniper - I think you've gotten a lot of good suggestions here to make one. All I can say is that the more complicated it becomes, the less participants will make it to the finish line.

I too am all for not having a monetary or trophy award. I think it's fun just to participate in your own way - and if this becomes a Campaign - then the Campaign Ribbon is a nice thing to have upon completion.

Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out...

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:27 PM UTC
I like Gunnie's non-prize idea. I also like his Cold War era.

How about a "what if" the Cold War turned hot theme? Build a kit of a modern German, Soviet, Canadian, US, UK (or any other likely participant) if a European ground war had started in the late 1950s-early 1960s. Give a chance to build M60A2s and Sheridans to go up against T-55s and PT-76s.
 _GOTOTOP