jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 04:13 AM UTC
Paul, re the figures

Quoted Text

Now if you cast them in resin you might have a few interested parties.

The gunner is now under rubber and the C/C is not far off as well.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
Jason
Thanks for the link, the region looks beautiful and I expect the colours name reflects a colour in the region.
Are you joining Mouse House for these figures or are you going on your own for these. Any sneak peeks at the figures?
Thanks
Bill
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul, re the figures

Quoted Text

Now if you cast them in resin you might have a few interested parties.

The gunner is now under rubber and the C/C is not far off as well.

Thanks Jason,

Looking forward to the pics !
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:24 PM UTC
Paul
You were correct about Tamiya paints, they have a very nice range of colours and the combinations worked very well as did a few others. This chart is only Tamiya acrylics and if you look closely you see there a number of candidates both greens and tans. You guys down there will have to be the judge though, you have the vehicles to see. If you can't really see the colour chart, just use the names and try the mixes yourself to see what they really look like.
On the left are the out of bottle colours and to the right of them are those colours mixed with XF 15 Flesh, sometimes multiple times. At the end of the row the end colour has been mixed with white.
Let me know what you think.
Regards
Bill

Photobucket
brentmitchell
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 01:12 PM UTC
Thanks for the pics.
The first two pics are 4RAR SRVs in Afgan 2006 (old standard three tone).
The next two are the rebuilt/upgraded SRV's, They had some extra mods, eg front grill has an bracket for 76mm GLS as used on ASLAVs and Leo's
I was wrong it was black not green that was painted over.
Due to opsec we could not take photos, so had to go back to the old memory.
The Pilbara Brown I have never heard of it till this forum, I don't know the offical name for it, but it looks good can't wait till someone builts one.
Brent
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 01:26 PM UTC
Brent
Could one of these be built from the Accurate Armour SAS Land Rover 110 DPV Rover or the Land Rover XD TUM WMIK? We could start another thread about this because I know there are some real enthusiasts amongst us. I've had these two kits for a long time now and I would love to build one up to keep the ASLAV PC company.
Bill
Fill your boots, compliments of Frenchy again
http://www.remlr.com/lrpv_110_in_transit.html
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul
You were correct about Tamiya paints, they have a very nice range of colours and the combinations worked very well as did a few others. This chart is only Tamiya acrylics and if you look closely you see there a number of candidates both greens and tans. You guys down there will have to be the judge though, you have the vehicles to see. If you can't really see the colour chart, just use the names and try the mixes yourself to see what they really look like.

Hi Bill,

I think the best solution is XF62 & XF 15 for the Green and XF52 & XF 15 for the Tan / Brown. The question is the ratio that is best for 1/35 scale.

I mixed them and air brushed them onto an area about 15 cm square.

David Jenkin used these combo's in his M1A1 project at this link:

http://hsfeatures.com/aussieabramsdj_1.htm

I think his colors look great - I was able to pretty much replicate those out of the airbrush (remember he has weathered the model and toned the colors down a fair bit also).

BTW Bill: your XF62 above doesn't look quite right - it looks 'reddy' NOT a Deep 'Olive Drab' like mine - is that the correct color ? It might pay to recheck that vial of paint.

I didn't get the same result when I mixed XF62 with XF15 either. I used 3 parts Olive drab to 1 part XF15 and got a much lighter Olive Drab.

Regards,

Paul

Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 03:09 PM UTC
Paul
Happy to hear you're trying all this yourself as well. The photo doesn't do these colours justice, I even lightened the entire scan so the Olive Drab didn't look black. I will double check the paint tomorrow morning and let you know.
You are correct about the Dave Jenkins Abrams paint, it looks spot on.
Thanks for the feedback and break out the airbrushes!
Regards
Bill
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul
Happy to hear you're trying all this yourself as well. The photo doesn't do these colours justice, I even lightened the entire scan so the Olive Drab didn't look black. I will double check the paint tomorrow morning and let you know.
You are correct about the Dave Jenkins Abrams paint, it looks spot on.
Thanks for the feedback and break out the airbrushes!
Regards
Bill

We're getting there Bill

I'm really looking forward to seeing your PC with that first coat of paint !!

Regards,

Paul

BTW: I will have a lot of question about your conversion once I start mine (although it'll be a '25' first then a PC later).

ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brent
Could one of these be built from the Accurate Armour SAS Land Rover 110 DPV Rover or the Land Rover XD TUM WMIK? We could start another thread about this because I know there are some real enthusiasts amongst us. I've had these two kits for a long time now and I would love to build one up to keep the ASLAV PC company.
Bill
Fill your boots, compliments of Frenchy again
http://www.remlr.com/lrpv_110_in_transit.html

That sounds like an interesting project for 'down the track' Bill.

Paul
brentmitchell
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 06:08 PM UTC
Boggie,
In ref with SRVs from AA, I don't know if you can do it. The SRV is a modified FFR, an variant of the 110 series. The SF variant is even different from the base SRV. The whole mount had to be changed to handle 50cal or Mk19 AGL, the orginal was design for F89 and MAG58and is a lot higher.there are also other mods done too, eg front Platt mount, Javlin racks. Getting info on SF SRV is pretty hard as Aust SF community are pretty tight lipped on gear. You will have to go by pics. One thing I did notice is not one SRV is stow the same. They are not just factory improvement mods, but some in crew/spanner mods aswell.
110 variants are GS, FFR, RFSV, SRV, hardtop.
6x6 are LRPV, GS, Ambo, two types of Spanner veh, IIMV.
Brent
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 08:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes they will be comming out. I should have the C/C done in the next week or so and possibly both figures could come with an extra set of arms. I'm thinking of doing one set for the gun car and one set for the PC. And maybe even a couple of Infantry guys as operators. The Hornet heads are nice, but the CVC helmet part (for a better term) is to small.

Yes please to all those Jason !! (just saw your post....)

Infantry guys too

Cheers,

Paul
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 03:39 AM UTC
Still have a bit to go with the fit of some parts.

Cheers Jason

Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 03:59 AM UTC
Jason
Please tell me that I can order this from Mouse House now. It looks very nice Jason, this has been on the works for a long long time. I first saw the scratched model on Missing Lynx forum 2 years ago?
On another topic. Did Mouse House take on the incomplete 6x6 Perentle that a modeller from the Missing Lynx forum started? Any news of that moving forward?

Quoted Text

"For all those not knowing what a Perentie is let me explain. The Perentie, named after a lizard known for it's camouflage and his ability to survive in harshest conditions was developed by Jaguar Rover of Australia in 1989. Over 700 are in regular service together with 3000 110's."

jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC
No sorry not yet mate. Not to far away now. If people would stop ordering kits then I wouldnt have to cast so much and would have the time to get this one finished.

As for the 6x6, I have it and intend on finishing it one day. No idea at the moment when that might be.

But all good things take time.

Cheers Jason
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 04:14 AM UTC
Jason
Looking forward to this conversion, I've got the Trump donor ready and spare wheels bought.
As for the Perentie 6x6, it seemed like such an unusual subject, it really is unique to Australia, thought it would be a natural for a model conversion IF there was a plastic donor kit, but now you'll have to make whole car, whew that's a lot of resin.
I anxiously await the 25.
Regards
Bill
RomeoKilo
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 02:46 PM UTC
I call shotgun on that! Ive got two hulls with interiors waiting!
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 04:29 PM UTC
Me too !

Jason, Bill,

a Perentie 6x6 LRPV would be so cool if it was available. What an awesome project !!

I know MH have diagrams / plans available, but I can't see myself doing a scratch build

Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:52 AM UTC
Ray Is this what you had in mind for the interior of your cars?
Photobucket
Bill
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 08:43 AM UTC
A quick update. After a bit of back and forthing I have painted the first colour and researched the camo pattern from the top. Could some one who knows better than I please check this to see if is correct. If it is this may save everyone else some work, I hope so.
Regards
Bill
Photobucket
PS This has been updated Sept 7 2008
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 10:42 AM UTC
Looks good so far Bill.

What mix did you use for the tan / brown ?

Are you happy with it ?

Mouse House have some diagrams of a ASLAV Camo scheme. When I get home from work I'll check it out.

Paul
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC
Paul I used a number of combinations of XF 57 Earth and XF15 flesh, some white and then some more earth. My first go around it was way too flesh so I added Earth. hen I was done I added white to the fix and a lot of thinner then held the air brush a way off to lighten the upper most highlights. I don't think I'll know if I like it until the rest of the colours are added, but this is pretty close to the M1A1 painted in Aussie colours.
The illustration for the (IIRC) ASLAV 25 on the Mouse House site only shows one side and only the front of the vehicle is accurate the APC is enlarged and the pattern changes to compensate for the size and shape.
I am worried that the pattern around the rear vent is incorrect, the only photo I had was a tiny ambulance image viewed from a helicopter and the tipped over ASLAV PC earlier in this thread kindly provided by Jason Miller.
ASLAV Medic
Regards
Bill
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 12:30 PM UTC
Thanks Bill.

I'll look for some photo's tonight. Wasn't there an earlier pic in this thread with a tipped over PC that Jason Also posted ?

What ration of Earth to Flesh to White do you think you used ?

6 to 2 to 1 ? I'd like to replicate your mix.

Paul

Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 12:58 PM UTC
Paul

Quoted Text

and the tipped over ASLAV PC earlier in this thread kindly provided by Jason Miller.

Yes that's the one I mentioned and it helped on the front but the rear was full of kit...which mine will be too, but I'd like to paint it correctly anyway.
If you have any aerial pics that would be excellent. In a perfect world we'd ask one of our ADF members to stand on the commanders hatch and do a panorama or the top of the vehicle. One of the best pictures that helped me sort out the area behind the commanders cupola was Brent Mitchel's of the commanders hatch at the beginning of this thread.
Someone could do high quality publication on the ASLAV family like the Wings and Wheels books of the Strykers, now that would be excellent.
I reached the colour by adding enough Flesh to paint the model then I slowly added the earth until the draw downs I did looked right, but I found the draw downs went darker than the airbrushed paint, I added a bit of white then a bit of earth to get the colour like the ASLAV 25
http://www.aussiemodeller.com/pages/Gallery/Trucksnvehicles/King_ASLAV.html
but a bit warmer.
Good luck with the top views.
Regards
Bill
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 06:06 PM UTC
Can't find a full top view Bill. These are the best I can find ATM:

http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/aslavph_2.htm

http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost/data/899/ARVL_Recovery_ASLAV.jpg

http://www.cowanmfg.com.au/engineering/aslav2_lg.jpg

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/6/5334/40557.jpg

http://www.defencemodels.com/Shopping/images/DSC07427_640.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/The.PriMo/Jieitai#5085251479512266466

http://img.blog.yahoo.co.kr/ybi/1/24/56/shinecommerce/folder/8/img_8_19078_10?1214560107.jpg

It seems you have got the front Ok - the very back is difficult to nail down exactly.

Perhaps Ray or Jason can get some more pics / diagrams ?

Ray, Jason ?

Cheers,

Paul