Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Nazi what if diorama
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
Have been away now for a while since i am working in another city from where i originally live so the other dioramas at home are at a pause. But that should not stop me from doing one where i am at the moment.

So i have been thinking allot about some nazi (what if they won the war) dioramas. 1:35, 30x30cm perhaps. maybe smaller, but i want several floors on it. Mainly i want to build an underground bunker complex with some serious advanced technology being researched and tested. And use some fancy lighting with diodes etc etc.

I do not know what exactly that i should go for, but i have the ufo's in mind. The nazi bell ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Glocke ) Uber soldats or the nazi occult interest.

It will be down to one or more of the ideas above, maybe i will get the chance to use my E100 tank model.

Yupp. I am going to have to plan this one good, for it to become interesting and dramatic. So any ideas and input from you guys is much appreciated.

Some drawings i made to help.

A quick drawing a made of the bell floating in the facility.

And a photo of the bell.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi Jarle

How about wiring up a set of electro magnets and making your bell float in mid air in your diorama. Some of those basic school science sets should give you some basic componants.

The way you have the dio sketched up looks like you could easily incorporate them with your diodes.

Cool idea.

Nige
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
Very Castle Wolfenstein!
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very Castle Wolfenstein!

Hehe. I just played trough the newest wolfenstein game. It just gave me more ideas.

The magnets i do not know about, could be dificult to keep it stable. Think i will if i build it like the drawing, that i will use a thin peace of metal hidden on the back side of the bell to make it look like its floating in the air. Or plexi glass.
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 12:46 AM UTC
Yo Jarle,

Wow...you got me hooked in one moment!!! Love the subject...the what if projects are so mystirius...that's why I love it so mucth.

Nice story so far and very nice drawings....really cant wait to see the start of it.

Greetz Nico
Removed by original poster on 02/20/10 - 16:36:56 (GMT).
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 04:35 AM UTC
Seems to me that there was a movie based on this story based in Poland. Dead Germans coming to life when the machine was fired up and impervious to all weapons and of course killing all the intruders. Something about an electric generated field. And I thought I had enough to think about.
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kind of reminds me of a movie I saw about a German machine that would bring back dead soilders to protect the experiment site from outside intrusions. In fact, I belive it took place in Poland. Weird movie, but this seems to tie into it and can't remember the name of it. Of course every one dies and a second team is dispatched to investigate. And I thought I had enough to think about.

The one drawing is based on that movie. "outpost" That is also where my ideas started to come from. And dozens of documentaries about nazi research about their quest for superior weapons. And a documentary about the bell, and some other state of the art flying machines (at that time) and prototypes. Many that have helped in the creation of the stealth bomber, and the flying wing.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 09:09 PM UTC
That sounds very interesting!
I will take a look to your progress of the build.

greetings...
Soeren
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 06:36 PM UTC
Nice sketches. I could see some clear tanks holding developing clones. I like the idea of the magnet to levitate the Bell. It'll be interesting to see how you go with this.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 09:30 PM UTC
I´ve found a paper-model kit and some nice stories of its possibly purposes.
The image of the finished model (for inspiration) is here:

found on: paperkraft.blogspot.com
(also there can be found one of the Haunebu -flying disks)

Also I read yesterday, that someone made a test with such a thing in modern time. (last year)
Exact facts are not known and were not published by the police.

That was a story.

greetings...
Soeren
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I´ve found a paper-model kit and some nice stories of its possibly purposes.
The image of the finished model (for inspiration) is here:

found on: paperkraft.blogspot.com
(also there can be found one of the Haunebu -flying disks)

Also I read yesterday, that someone made a test with such a thing in modern time. (last year)
Exact facts are not known and were not published by the police.

That was a story.

greetings...
Soeren

I remember in the documentary, that after the war the Americans took all of the research and most of the scientists ( operation paperclip) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Paperclip And continued the research in the us. Witch in theory after that the ufo sitings started to appear. Did they continue the research of the so called "bell" or is it all just a conspiracy manufactured from those who want to believe it or want to benefit from it. I would like to think its all true, that all of the ufo sitings is nothing more than just sitings of prototypes of new flying machines. But off course the only thing i can do is leaving it as a pure fantasy. Or is it? And the facinating thing is that we actually cant know if they did or did not succeed. We will probably never know.

And the idea of cloning soldiers gave me even more ideas. Holy mother of ....... i have a lot of planing to do. Hmm. I think ill make some schematics first at my job on autocad. And go from there

How do you guys think is the best way to make all of the bunker concrete look real? i was thinking of making it in floor sections. Making a mold shape, with balsa cut out as small planks on the inside mold walls to simulate the real technique done. Cuz i visited a large bunker complex here and i can clearly se that they used planks on top of eachother to keep the concrete in place while drying.

So do you think it will work the same way in small scale to make a mold out of balsa cut out planks with something water tight on the outside? Hmm.

I also thought of just cutting out measured peaces of recycled wood plates (not sure of the english word for it) and just put on and paint something to simulate the concrete.
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 12:58 AM UTC
Here is something i just made. Will do it with more details later on. Hope you like it. I am thinking of another floor. But i am restricted by 30cm upwards. And i am up to 20cm already. I have measured and compared it scalewise to other plastic buildings and figures that i have in 1:35. The base is 30x30cm

Did not render it cuz of the autocad i have here sucks.
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 01:40 AM UTC
A little work on the platform. Damn, i wish this was the real thing. Got to go and get my self some materials for the dio building.

endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC
Jarle, you're going Computer Aided Design into this whatif it's great . I'm always to lazy to do that, I usually stay on sketch level.

I'm subscribing to this one.

Andrzej
Polaris
Visit this Community
Somogy, Hungary
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:05 AM UTC
Really ...
Like the Wolfestein
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hehe. Tnx. I also wondered if i should use the halflife 2 map editor. But i think that would be a little to much. Hmm. Would be a nice game map though.

Only thing i am a little unsure about is how to begin. I have the base ready. Thought about using supersculpy and cernit. But i would have to use allot of it. Hmm. Again, ill gett back to that. I will test out some techniques on how to make the walls tonight.

tips on how to make the concrete walls much appreciated.
adisak
Visit this Community
Chiang Mai, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 03:57 AM UTC
this great project very much , you have the idea that is cool , only see pretty plan , I , enjoy very , respect.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
Jarie

How about casting your pieces using building plaster and having timber stirring sticks in the face of the mould to make your pattern of the timber temporary shoring that would have been used to cast the real insitu concrete. If you plan the pieces well you could have them slot together.

Nige
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 09:29 AM UTC
I tested one technique now that involved one of the walls being a balsa plate with carved out plank patterns so the plaster sinks in to the carvings.

Heres my result on a test wall. 20x10cm. And it came out kinda how i wanted it. But need to next time make the vertical carved lines a little deeper.

My next step will be to use lego's as support. Since their easy to shape and ads lots of stability.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 10:51 AM UTC
One thing you might want to incorporate to make the panels less plain is to have one with high or low level angled service ducts like a vent supply and extract duct molded in with mesh grills over. This and your observation windows, electrical, fuel pipes or water pipes will give the space some features.

Nige
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing you might want to incorporate to make the panels less plain is to have one with high or low level angled service ducts like a vent supply and extract duct molded in with mesh grills over. This and your observation windows, electrical, fuel pipes or water pipes will give the space some features.

Nige

That is a good idea. I thought of adding allsorts of pipes electrical wires ect. And a generator or something like it under the control room. Or something else the nazis have cooked up and stored there.

But as you say. i will ad those ducts for wiring and such.
Delta-Papa
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC
I love the idea!

In heavy industry floor to ceiling height is usually between 2400 & 3000mm.
Floor thickness can be anything between 300 & 500mm.

Radiation shielding walls are roughly 2000mm thick, but seeing as you've got windows in there I wouldn't bother going over 1000mm. One trick that is used is that borinated water is pumped between the sheets of glass to help in shielding (could be an interesting detail with the pipes running "into" the windows).

When I think control room (in this scenario) I think of SG1... so maybe drop-down blast shields in front of the windows?
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:56 AM UTC
Looking good so far.
I also had the idea, to make a 3D-model of a working-room, with tiles on the walls.
I started the project 3 years ago and made some nice looking images, but the room is empty so far.

greetings...
Soeren
jk_conix
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the idea!

In heavy industry floor to ceiling height is usually between 2400 & 3000mm.
Floor thickness can be anything between 300 & 500mm.

Radiation shielding walls are roughly 2000mm thick, but seeing as you've got windows in there I wouldn't bother going over 1000mm. One trick that is used is that borinated water is pumped between the sheets of glass to help in shielding (could be an interesting detail with the pipes running "into" the windows).

When I think control room (in this scenario) I think of SG1... so maybe drop-down blast shields in front of the windows?

Oohh. Now that gave me some inspiration. SG1 is the best series ever. Loved it.

I am currently making the mold for the concrete (plaster) using balsa and legos. And gaffa tape (kidnapper tape) to make it water tight. I had a little leakage on the test wall. Not fun.