Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
761st Sherman project
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mud and tracks are FINALLY on!

Mixed the AK mud colors in different proportions along with plaster and splattered it on with blasts from the airbrush through an old paintbrush. The difficulty here is that it always looked great when wet but once it dried overnight it was much lighter than planned. So I ended up doing about 3-4 layers of mud spray, the final one being straight "Fresh Mud" to get enough contrast between dried and wet mud.

Tracks were a bear to get on because they were quite fragile after all the work I've done on them. However, once on I just glued them to the roadwheels along the bottom so everything is pretty solid now.

Spent some time getting a nice wet look to the lower sandbags. Tried to get this to look as much like my reference photo as possible. A little satin paint over the mud colors added a final touch.

Stowage is done and just needs to be glued into place and tied down. Also need to do a bit of work on the spare idler to make it look like it's secure. All the reference photos of this particular setup are too fuzzy to determine how this was attached so I'll try to come up with something that makes sense.

After these two small items it's on to the crew!

Don, sensational job!
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 10:34 AM UTC
Just discovering it... Magnifique as the Frenchy say. Maybe a slow process but an impressive one. As a sherman fan, I do have my own slow shermy projects Also... but Mister Professor, your is i1st class ! And "black panthers" really deserve 1st class tribute. Bravo
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just discovering it... Magnifique as the Frenchy say. Maybe a slow process but an impressive one. As a sherman fan, I do have my own slow shermy projects Also... but Mister Professor, your is i1st class ! And "black panthers" really deserve 1st class tribute. Bravo

Thank you for the kind words form France! I have been somewhat overwhelmed by obligations over the past several weeks but have continued working on the few remaining pieces of this project when I could get a chance. I just completed the final crew member last night and will hopefully have some photos to post later tonight. Stay tuned!

ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 03:13 PM UTC
As promised, here are some shots of the crew before they get mounted in the tank. Not happy with the photography but I'm short on time so it will have to do. Someday I'll have to make a proper set-up with the correct lighting rather than trying to use the same lights I paint with. Anyway...

All the figures have been given heads from Hornet. Two have Tamiya helmets and two have DML helmets. Here is the driver which was posted earlier in the blog. Did a few tweaks to the eyes and modified the color of his jacket slightly. This is a DML figure:

Next up is the bow gunner also from DML. This one has very nice molding for a plastic figure, especially considering the age of the set it comes from:

Then the loader (or gunner). This is a Miniart figure and I was quite disappointed when it came time to paint it. I actually ended up stripping him for a "do-over" because I found the indistinct molding of the creases and folds quite hard to follow the first time. So this one ended up getting painted twice. Also had a devil of a time getting him to fit in the turret because when I test-fitted everything the gun breech had not yet been attached so there was a little less room inside than I thought. Minor surgery resulting in an unfortunate club-foot was required, but it can't really be seen once he's in the hatch:

Finally, the TC. This is a resin figure from Nemrod. A real joy to paint with nice details and fine casting. However, looking at these blown up photos, I'm thinking a slight adjustment to the eyes may be in order as he still looks a bit surprised in the second photo:

That's it for now. As I said, I'm short on time but hoping to get these guys mounted tonight.

Thanks for looking!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 05:01 PM UTC
Fantastic Don. I've been doing a bunch of figures for my Chaffee and Grant over the last week, and the results certainly don't touch these.

Very nice.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 07:33 PM UTC
Your figures set the curve a bit higher! Looks like I will be revisiting some of mine.
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 09:51 PM UTC
Very Well done Prof´, it makes me reconsidiring the Nemrod set. Really impatient To see the guys back in their Shermy....
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 10:03 PM UTC
excellent skin tones and shading on the uniforms
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 02:10 AM UTC
Don, just love those figures. color modulation is fantastic.
Joel
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC
Don, fantastic work from start to finish, and the excellent figures are just the icicng on on the cake!
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thanks again for all the nice comments. Here's a quick shot of the finished stowage.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 09:58 AM UTC
Oh WOW !! Don, it just keeps getting better and better. Your stowage is unreal.
Joel
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 11:34 AM UTC
Are you interested in taking on an apprentice?
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC
Wow. And "wow" again.
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 04:19 PM UTC
Well, I'm happy to say, FINALLY, that I think this project, for the most part, is finished! Still one or two minor tweaks I'd like to do after getting some in-person feedback from the local modeling club, but otherwise, the model itself is DONE! I have plans for a simple scenic base, but haven't decided if I'm going to tackle that right away or move on to another project that is more time sensitive. Anyway that decision will come a bit later.

For now, here are some shots of all the elements together. Still experimenting with lighting and camera settings but I think these look pretty good. My camera doesn't have f stop settings so I can't get a good depth of field. Will keep trying though. Anyway, enough blah blah blah already. On with the show!

Thanks to all for the encouragement and for your patience on what turned out to be a multi-year project!

Cheers!
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 09:33 PM UTC
look exceptional...........excellent
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 10:46 PM UTC
Truly Breathtaking Don! Outstanding job!!!!
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 11:00 PM UTC
Man, that is nice. Great figures. Super tribute to these men.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 11:31 PM UTC
The figures look very natural. Everything from the fuel stains to the sand appear to be exact! I can imagine seeing this beasty storming the beach. Looks like I'm going to have to kick it into high gear for my National's entry!
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 04:13 AM UTC
Amazing job, Don. Outstanding work.

Chris
Isherman
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 06:56 AM UTC
Great work on both the tank and figures, Stowage looks really good too, something that some modellers neglect
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 12:39 PM UTC
Don!!
This project has truly imsperational!! You work through out has been top notch and I'm so looking forward to see the completed model. Are you planning on setting this beauty on a base with some ground work?

Once again just Outstandly Awesome!!!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 09:03 AM UTC
Don, I'm really impressed. What an outstanding build. Your figures are breath taking.

Joel
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 09:12 AM UTC
Its been a long time coming but worth the wait, lovely job, figures are superb.
MajorPete
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 10:20 AM UTC
Nice work.....I love the mud