Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
761st Sherman project
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hi Don, thanks for all the information!

I just corresponded with Mr. Saunders of Hornet Figures and he said no 1/16. So, if I cannot unearth some for my larger scaled version of yours then I will most certainly do a 1/35th build!

Thanks again and lets see some more pics please!

~ Jeff
nolifoto
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 06:39 PM UTC
This looks like an interesting painting work. One question though, did you thin down Mr. Surfacer for spraying? If so, how much was it thinned down?
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 06:21 AM UTC
Noli,

I used Mr. Surfacer 500 on the turret and differential cover. This was not the spray can type. It was applied straight out of the bottle (without thinning) using a stiff paintbrush. As it began to dry, I stippled it (poked it with the stiff brush) which gives the lumpy texture simulating a cast surface. A light sanding was done over the entire surface to even out the high spots once the Mr. Surfacer was completely dry (about 24 hours).

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC
I am going to collect those figures and hopefully a Sherman Campaign will come along soon!

~ Jeff
collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 09:45 AM UTC
Don,
This is a fantastic build! You have obviously done your homework on this build and what a cool choice of subjects! To build this model at this level is a true testiment to the trials and tribulations of the 761st. Nice work Don!
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hey, thanks a lot Iain! I really appreciate you checking in. Now that "the package" has arrived, I've been inspired to get on to the painting stage! Since my last update I have been picking away at the remaining build details in between some pretty rigorous family obligations. I have finally completed assembly of the Panda tracks and duckbills as well as a few other minor details but havent had time to post any photos. I'm gonna hold off until I get the last 2-3 bitz completed and post photos of the finished build. Then it's on to paint!
SSgtTowers
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 02:17 PM UTC
I really like what you are doing with with the tank and figures. I have several Shermans that I have and one is the blast jumbo kit. I was wondering I don't have many local hobby-shops that I know of here in San Antonio that are close by and so I am not up to all the new accessories but you mentioned Panda for the tracks. Do you know who carries them online? Again your subject is awesome. I am starting my thesis project that is centered on the bulge and I downloaded the original come out fighting book from the 761 website. I look forward to reading more about the division as well as following your thread. Makes me want to copy your subject matter!!!

Curtis Towers
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 04:07 PM UTC
Curtis, thank you for the kind words. The Panda tracks are available directly from their website at www.shermantracks.com . As I've already stated, they go together very nicely, particularly when you build and use the recommended assembly jigs out of styrene. I believe instructions for making those are also on their site somewhere.

Once completed, they look great, especially with the duckbill extenders in place. Building the tracks this way also allowed me to leave a few duckbills off to represent "broken" ones here and there for a more battle-weary look.

Go ahead and have a crack at doing your own 761st Sherman or Stuart...given the positive feedback I have received, I'm sure many here would love to see your efforts!

Cheers.
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 04:45 PM UTC
OK! Time for a major update. First, a word about fiddly bitz. There were a number of small things I wanted to add both to represent the reference photos I was working from and based on suggestions from fellow modelers. None were difficult but as it turns out, they can be a bit, well, fiddly. I guess that's not really news but as a "slow builder" I've learned that I'll have to strike a better balance between correcting errors in the kit and adding all the bells and whistles if I ever want to finish a kit in a reasonable amount of time. Anyway, I've highlighted the key additions below:

1. Addition of .30 cal barrel in the mantlet.
2. Removal of the dust cover and addition of bolt holes and bearing surface on the spare idler.
3. Storage tube, cap and chain for the headlight mounting socket.
4. Forward cleat for the tow cable (partially obscured here).
5. Driver's side rear-view mirror. The attachment point for this is not accurate but I couldn't think of another way to mount it so that it wouldn't pop right off every time someone so much as looked at it. Not 100% happy with it...since the driver's hatch has been added, it now seems too long...haven't decided if I want to change it or not. I welcome feedback on this bit.

As I've lamented before, the Panda tracks also consumed an inordinate amount of time on this build. My time away from the project for other stuff not withstanding, this was the single most frustrating part of the build for me. I'm not sure I would go this route again although choices for representing the T54-E1 tracks WITH duckbills seem to be pretty limited. That said, when finished they look great and I'm very pleased. Also, when assembled with white glue as indicated earlier, they remain very workable which will ease attachment following completion of paint and weathering.

Even temporarily mounted for the photos they really look the business...test fitting indicates that the slack seen here will come out when the final set of end links are added. Other than some rear stowage and ropes and tie-downs at both ends, I'm calling the construction portion of this build COMPLETE.

Finally, a little over a week ago I got a package from AK Interactive which has me very excited to get going on painting! Thanks to Iain Hamilton for the special handling and great customer service on this one...if you don't already know it guys, AK Interactive totally rocks!

As you can see, I'm going to give their modulation set a try.

I've also picked up their weathering set for green vehicles. Looks like It's gonna be all AK all the time in the next phase!

So, the next update will definitely include paint...or at least primer!

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Cheers.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 11:54 PM UTC
Looking really nice Don. I like the details you've added.

I'm currently reading Brothers in Arms, so it brings this just closer to home.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 04:29 AM UTC
Very, very nice. I'm looking forward to you using that AK set.

BTW the mirror looks ok to me.

G
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 05:52 AM UTC
Don, I had already been following this build with great interest. Now I'm really fired up! I can't wait to see how the AK Interactive paints work for you!
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
Oh YEAH! this is going to be GOOD!!!

That Sherman is off the hook and looks ready to go, you have left nothing off. FANTASTIC build...just AWWWesome!!

Once that OD goes on it's a whole new ball game, and Modulation no less!
You will greatly enjoy this next phase and We will greatly enjoy watching!

Mustanger
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh YEAH! this is going to be GOOD!!!

That Sherman is off the hook and looks ready to go, you have left nothing off. FANTASTIC build...just AWWWesome!!

Once that OD goes on it's a whole new ball game, and Modulation no less!
You will greatly enjoy this next phase and We will greatly enjoy watching!

Agree with Eric.

If I remember my armored regiment history correctly, I think the the present day 64th Armor battalions trace their lineage to the 761st.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hi Don. The Sherman looks excellent. Not a Sherman fan, but there are so many details on all sides, it makes it very interesting. Looking forward to the paint job!!
padoue
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 03:42 AM UTC
Awesome build!!!! Fantastic.

Keep it up an keep us posted!

Ben
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
Well, the gang's all here!

To the regulars on this blog (Jesse, Wayne, Eric, Frank) thanks for your continued encouragement and enthusiasm! It's been a slow grind, mainly just because there are too many other demands on my time, but thanks for sticking with me. I'm getting there.

To the "new" guys joining in, your nice comments are really appreciated. Thanks for tuning in and hope you enjoy where this thing ends up.

UPDATE: Last night I broke down the kit into subassemblies to prep for painting. I bathed everything in Windex and gave it a light scrubbing and rinse under warm water. There was a minor setback with the Panda Tracks though...even though I thought I was being extra gentle, some of the connections came apart, likely due to the warm water weakening the white glue in a few places. It only happened on one of the tracks which came apart into about 8 sections. This will be an easy fix but word to the wise, if you use the white glue method, be prepared to reassemble your tracks following any kind of liquid prep.

Will post more photos once primed. Still debating whether to go with the Vallejo Polyurathane Acrylic or the stinky Tamiya rattle can. Gonna break out the airbrush and do some tests on scrap first.

BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 05:24 AM UTC
So... you've got time to finally work on that beast, yet you fail to make it to ONE Friday night at Applebee's?

I see how it is, Mr. Haney, and I am a sad panda...

I am glad to see the work on the 761st project picking back up again. Perhaps you would grace us with your presence next Friday?
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 05:43 AM UTC
Hey Smitty! Yes, I admit, attending the meetings has been near impossible given my daughter's activities over the last year. But guess what? That commitment is DONE and I am just getting back into some regular modeling now. Rest assured I will be at next week's meeting with this kit in tow, so cheer up sad panda.

Now, let's talk about your website, shall we? Bit of a lack of progress over there I see....maybe TOO many Friday nights at Applebee's for you, hmmm?

Seriously though, really nice to see you checking in here. We'll catch up next Friday my friend!
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 05:47 AM UTC
Oh... well, uh, it's "under new management". Moving and lots of other things going on, needed a fresh start, so the blog is starting up again this week.

And thank you for reminding me to keep on it...again.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 06:54 AM UTC
If you cannot get him to Applebee's on a Friday, just how am I going to get him to Vegas?

G
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 08:24 AM UTC
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 04:06 AM UTC
Here's a quick update. Finished the stowage for the rear deck using bitz from the Tamiya Allied vehicles accessory set, Verlinden ammo boxes, Hudson & Allen Ration boxes and A+B putty. I used plastic wrap on the engine deck, rolled out the tarps and layered them in between the plastic and resin parts. Everything is stuck together and comes off the engine deck in one piece for painting (except for the ration boxes). Rope will be added at the end to tie everything down.

I've begun priming with the Vallejo acrylic primer. I started small going with the breach, idlers and sprockets to get a feel for paint and the airbrush.

Have experienced no problems so far other than the occasional slightly clogged tip. A quick wipe with a Q-tip soaked in Vallejo airbrush cleaner does the trick and allows me to keep going without having to disassemble the brush. I'm using a Paasche Talon with the .38mm tip and spraying at Vallejo's recommended pressure of 25psi. Will try a drop or two of retarder in my next batch to see if that staves off the tip clogging. Planning to hit the tracks and turret today. More photos once the whole thing is primed.

mdbedard
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
Don,

You have a cord running to the driver's neck assuming there is a neck mic. US didn't have neck mics in tanks during WW II, only hand held mics. Awkward to say the least but it was that they had.

Mike Bedard
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking in. The figure in question is the driver which is from the old Dragon U.S. Tank crew. That figure is sculpted with the throat mic and all the artwork and accompanying illustrations on the box show the throat mic setup. Unfortunately I built and painted that figure without more careful research, assuming the Dragon imagery was correct. Can't be fixed now so I'll take my lumps if any other keen-eyed modelers should happen to spot that when he's sitting in the tank.

Might have to place him a bit lower in the hatch now just to be safe...