Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
761st Sherman project
4egevara
Visit this Community
Vladimir, Russia
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hi Don!
On the model did an excellent job with the details.
Loved kit, it will make a model of individual and unique!
But a quick set of modulation will get professional results. Actually, I'm waiting impatiently color.
I will try to the extent possible and continue to monitor your blog!
Good luck!
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don,

You have a cord running to the driver's neck assuming there is a neck mic. US didn't have neck mics in tanks during WW II, only hand held mics. Awkward to say the least but it was that they had.

Mike Bedard

The US did have the throat microphone in WWII, and it was the most common type used in tanks and armored cars. Here's a quick pic of the artifacts in my collection:

Shown here on the left are the M1938 Tank Helmet with the HS-18 headset (ear phones) installed; The T-30 throat microphone; The SW-141 push-to-talk switch and CD-307 extension cord. The goggles are the Polaroid Type 1021.

The headset, throat microphone and push-to-talk switch are plugged into components from the early war RC-61 Tank Interphone Equipment. By the time Don's Sherman was produced, the RC-61 was replaced with a new tank interphone system that used the BC-606 Intercom Control Box (made in OD green vice the black here) shown in this photo:

You'll note here that the M1938 Tank Helmet has been superceded by the regular M1 Helmet with the HS-30 headset and T-45 lip microphone connected to the TD-4 Chest Group (replacing the SW-141) and plugged into the BC-606 Intercom Control Box.

Although the TD-4 Chest group was developed and manufactured before the end of WWII, I've never seen a photo of it in use. However, the HS-30 headset was quite common in use in the M1938 Tank Helmet and by itself under the M1 Helmet (as shown here). Surprisingly, the T-45 Lip Microphone was also pretty common in the closing months of the war (look very closely at some pictures of US tanks in the closing weeks of the war and you'll find both the HS-30 and T-45).

Here's a close-up of these items:

The T-17 (Hand) Microphone is shown hanging around the neck in this photo:

Note that the lanyard is the same type used with the SW-141 Push-to-Talk Switch. The lanyard was made in both leather (as shown here) and in a round green-gray cord.

Note that the way the HS-18, T-30, HS-30, and T-45 are wired. The HS-18 only has a single wire and is connected to the intercom control box using an extension cord (CD-307). The HS-30 has duel wires which meet at a fat, in-line resistor and also uses the extension cord. The T-30 has a single thick wire and is connected to the SW-141 switch. The standard WWII tanker was connected to his intercom control box with two wires (one for his headset and one for his microphone which had a push-to-talk switch).

The T-45 has a small, thin green wire and is plugged into the TD-4 along with the HS-30. The TD-4 has a coiled wire with duel plugs for the BC-606. When the T-45 is used with the SW-141, there was an adaptor that allowed the T-45 to plug into it. By noting these details, it's often possible to determine in a photo which equipment the US tanker is using.

When the T-17 (hand) microphone was used, it replaced either the T-30 or the T-45 and the SW-141. It, of course, has its own long cord and push-to-talk switch. Usually, only the Tank commander used the T-17 since all of the other crewmen needed both hands to do their jobs.

HTH,
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 03:53 AM UTC
Mike,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive and informative historical info and photos! Your collection of tanker gear looks amazing.
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 03:33 PM UTC
Back with another update. Been working on painting the interior turret details so that I can complete the turret assembly and mask it all off for exterior painting. Here are some shots of the radio, breech and loader's side of the turret.

Next step will be to install the radio, then mount the breech to the mantlet/gun barrel assembly. Seems like a lot of work for only a small amount which will actually be visible through the hatch, but hey, I'll know it's there!

Thanks for checking in.
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 03:54 PM UTC
YAY! Paint! Interior looks good and worn, especially that turret interior. Oh and the leather cases on the side of the radio. Looking really good, Don!
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 11:52 PM UTC
Looking very good
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 12:17 AM UTC
I really like that radio. Both of my current builds will have very visible radios, so I'll have to come back and use this as a reference. Really liking the canvas cover on top. How did you do that?
17thairborne
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 01:00 AM UTC
Excellent uniform details...thanks for adding. A a newbie I'm going back over old posts and find the site interesting and informative. Love the uniform stuff.
Oz
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 04:19 AM UTC
Don,

Great work and updates! Haven't been here much due to some recent health issues and haven't been on the bench since June, but I just wanted comment to show my support for your excellent work.

Dave.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 05:11 AM UTC
Really nice. Looking forward to more progress

Bob
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but hey, I'll know it's there!

I believe that line is somewhere in the scale modeller's creed, isn't it?
Mustanger
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Back with another update. Been working on painting the interior turret details so that I can complete the turret assembly and mask it all off for exterior painting. Here are some shots of the radio, breech and loader's side of the turret.

Next step will be to install the radio, then mount the breech to the mantlet/gun barrel assembly. Seems like a lot of work for only a small amount which will actually be visible through the hatch, but hey, I'll know it's there!

Thanks for checking in.

Excellent detail. A very fine effort. I wish all your work would be visible.
errains
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 12:01 PM UTC
Excellent Work there Don!!

The colors and weathering is right on the mark. Still holding my breath for that paint on the outside!!

Keep up the Awesomeness!
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 785 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 03:10 PM UTC
Excellent build,truely enjoyed seeing all the details. Thanks for letting us see.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 12:44 AM UTC
Don-- Almost tragic to see all that outstanding interior work covered by the finished product. The radio set is superbly done! Great job
DJ
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 02:50 PM UTC
Well, I've managed to get the primer coat on with only minor issues. I used the Vallejo Acrylic Polyurethane primer, sprayed at 25psi with 2 drops of retarder mixed right into the airbrush paint cup.

For the most part, I was able to get it on quite smoothly and with the retarder mixed in, there were no issues with the tip clogging. Unfortunately, there were a number of "fuzzies" that got onto the surface which I attribute to not doing a good job of getting all the dust out of my spray booth beforehand.

After letting the paint dry for a couple hours, I went back and tried to pull out the worst ones. However in one spot, the fuzzy was pretty stubborn and I ended up marring the primer and exposing the model surface. I tried to sand it gently but it started to roll up on me and I was thinking that it would be ruined in that spot. But after letting it dry 24 hours, the primer was much less pliable and I was able to sand the edges smooth with a very fine sanding stick. I was also able to smooth out the other rough spots where I had taken out fuzzies earlier. The primer only needs to be touched up in that one spot, about the diameter of a drop of paint from a Vallejo bottle. You can just see it in the photo as a little dark spot on the upper hull, just to the right of the driver's hatch.

So the lesson here is let this primer dry at least 24 hours before attempting to pick at it or sand it. It may be dry to the touch and probably ready to accept the next coat of paint after only an hour or two, but if there are touch ups needed, you have to be patient. I also don't think it is intended as a sandable primer, but it CAN be sanded lightly with good results. I'm happy with the finish and it seems very durable after curing overnight.

As you can see, I've also started painting and weathering the tracks. I wanted to practice a bit more with the airbrush before I tackle the color modulation, hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for checking in.
errains
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hey Don,

Nice little write up on the Vallejo Polyurethane primer. I have a couple of bottles I'm going to use on my next project.

The Sherman is looking good and I can't wait to see how you approach the painting and weather phases. No pressure but I plan on take extensive notes during all this. I'm sure I can learn a few tricks

Good Luck Man!
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 02:40 AM UTC
Thanks Eric. In addition to getting comfortable using an airbrush with acrylics, I've been looking at a lot of color modulation photos and trying to make a plan for how to apply these to the Sherman. Since CM is not strictly a "lighting" technique, it's a bit counter-intuitive to how it should be applied in some places. Although, I could go with a zenithal modulation as well so...there's that option. I haven't decided yet.

I'm going to try and think it through very carefully before I start spraying but I'm excited to get started so it's really tempting to just start shooting paint!
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since CM is not strictly a "lighting" technique, it's a bit counter-intuitive to how it should be applied in some places. Although, I could go with a zenithal modulation as well so...there's that option. I haven't decided yet.

Or you could just, I don't know... paint it OD, one shade, kind of how they did it back then, man...
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 09:06 AM UTC
Yeah, do it all "ole-skool" and stuff...
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC
Ole skool is kool, just sayin'.......

G
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 10:34 AM UTC
The way you do it G, it sure as heck is! Can't argue with your results. But, , "ole skool" just does not fit my particular...idiom!
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 01:25 PM UTC
Idiom!

Hey, who ya calling an idiom ya wiseguy?

G
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 11:14 AM UTC
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 02:57 AM UTC
It's great to finally see your build in primer, it's been a long time in coming!