Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:29 PM UTC
Not to make light of mine or anyone's medical maladies but it appears I may be ADHD. I can't seem to concentrate on only one section of the build at a time and actually get more accomplished it seems when I jump all over the place when I model. My attention span seems very short sometimes and I loose interest in lots of stuff rather quickly.

All that to segue into the next 2 pictures of the progress(?) I made last night on the wall sections of the church interior, trying to break up the monotony and dreariness of the brown on brown on brown decor. As Claude put it( and I'm paraphrasing) the wood lacks any detail or quality or character to the wood.

Here is my effort to change that a little. Only got a couple sections done before the stained glass windows beckoned me back today.

Let me know what you think.....

See you in the funny papers everyone!

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 05:39 PM UTC
Not wanting to wait another full day before I got to see what the glass would look like I coloured one of the panels tonight before bed. I have to say I am very happy so far. It will depend on the lead work and the distressing etc for the final verdict but from the standpoint of color and opacity I think I have found a workable solution...

Good night.

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 02:10 PM UTC
progress for today...

finished staining the second window, and applied the Leading via the same process as the color, good old sharpie markers, well these one's are Bics!

Thanks for the reminder Nick

what say ye all?

Dave

i will try to take some shots with a little more light tonight...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 04:46 PM UTC
Last update for today...

All for now...
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 02:28 AM UTC
That stonework looks lovely outside in the natural light. You did such a great job on this so far bubba.
Are you going to add a suitable tangle of wiring to the radio set-up? One of those boxes is a field telephone exchange and needs a lot of wires and at least one field phone. Not to add to your worries! Hehehehe
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 03:05 AM UTC
One of my next tasks Jerry. The field box telephone will be located up in the bell tower where the Luetnant is peering through his binocs.

The rest of the cabling will also be there, probably running along the wall and out the side door to the edge of the base to an "off screen" power supply...

Thoughts?

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 06:24 AM UTC
You don't need any power supply to the field phone. They were sound powered. The radio could be operated by battery and one of the boxes on your table is the battery box. So you can save yourself some work.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 07:35 AM UTC
The kit comes with an exercise bike the one soldaten is riding! I don't think I have space for it though. Thanks for the fresh Intel Jerry. I will dig out the box art and take a look. FYI, Ron Volstad who does all of Dragons box art is a member of our IPMS chapter. He's a regular attendee at our monthly meetings. Cool I think!

Dave
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 07:44 AM UTC
Ron is one of the best artists around and his research is awesome. The man knows his"stuff".
Please say hello next time you see him and give him my appreciation for his work. He is missed by me as the new Dragon art seems sub par.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC
I will Jerry. I forgot he's not their go to guy anymore. I don't buy too many kits, and rarely get anything brand new as the cost for me is just prohibitive. I don't think I have more then 3 next gen kits.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:07 AM UTC
I keep buying a few figure sets here and there. I am stocking up in case all goes down the toilet and I will then have a nice stash to keep me busy.
I looked again and I was wrong. There is no battery box on your table,just 3 different radios and the phone switchboard.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:35 AM UTC
I could live to be 100 and not be able to build everything in my stash! Especially at my rate of completion. I always keep my eyes peeled for the deal of the century though. Who knows, maybe my girl will want to build tanks like her daddy some day soon. She seems to enjoy it when I work at the kitchen table...:-)

Thanks for the intel update, I will seek out the boxtop when I get home. On a mini road trip today, pay bills and dentistry. Two oft most favorite activities!!!! NOT!

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC

Hi Dave,

I don't know how to put it...as the painted windows look like quite a bit of work...and I like the outcome of your method..and... they are totally wrong. Church windows on the continent back then were all religious themes and scenes, at the max a portrait of a very special personality, but hardly any geometrical patterns.

Sorry!

Cheers

Romain

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,

I don't know how to put it...as the painted windows look like quite a bit of work...and I like the outcome of your method..and... they are totally wrong. Church windows on the continent back then were all religious themes and scenes, at the max a portrait of a very special personality, but hardly any geometrical patterns.

Sorry!

Cheers

Romain

What !!!! Really??? You're joking right????

I was actually kinda waiting fit this type of reply from someone Romain. I searched hundreds of images to try to find something I could easily scale or copy and decided to go with simple geometric shapes for ease of completion.

I didn't find many images of simple, but I took a chance. It's hard to do intricate at this scale with sharpie markers. I will taking a mulligan at some point.

Thanks.

Dave
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,

Sorry!

Cheers

Romain

What !!!! Really??? You're joking right????

I was actually kinda waiting fit this type of reply from someone Romain. I searched hundreds of images to try to find something I could easily scale or copy and decided to go with simple geometric shapes for ease of completion.

I didn't find many images of simple, but I took a chance. It's hard to do intricate at this scale with sharpie markers. I will taking a mulligan at some point.

Thanks.

Dave

I'm so sorry honestly, but there can be no doubt!

The problem is that they damage the overall quality of the dio!!

R.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 11:56 AM UTC
Thanks again Romain. I will undoubtably be looking into things but won't guarantee anything for certain.

Dave
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:03 PM UTC
I have to say I think Romain is right on that one, but fear not! I think there is hope. You might try this: Look into something called Shrinky Dink; they are clear plastic sheets that shrink when heated. You can paint a nice design on it, pop it in the oven, and out comes a super-detailed miniaturized version of what you drew. and the key point is that it is clear, so you end up with a translucent design. Just do a Google image search for stained glass and you'll get loads of options to choose from. Then with some trial and error to get the sizing right, you can trace the design to the shrinky dink and wind up with a really nice window. The shrinky dink does have a tendancy to warp a bit when shrinking, but since old stained glass windows tend to sag, this wouldn't be totally bad. Good luck! Love your dio!
dogstar
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:37 PM UTC
Perhaps you could try one of the print-your-own decal kits. Find some nice stained glass, copy the photo, scale it down and print out.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps you could try one of the print-your-own decal kits. Find some nice stained glass, copy the photo, scale it down and print out.

Maybe instead of decal kits, use printable overhead projection transparencies. Sandwich between a couple of sheets of thin clear plastic. Wouldn't simulate the texture of a stained glass window as well as shrinky dink I think, but could work.

Ike
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to say I think Romain is right on that one, but fear not! I think there is hope. You might try this: Look into something called Shrinky Dink; they are clear plastic sheets that shrink when heated. You can paint a nice design on it, pop it in the oven, and out comes a super-detailed miniaturized version of what you drew. and the key point is that it is clear, so you end up with a translucent design. Just do a Google image search for stained glass and you'll get loads of options to choose from. Then with some trial and error to get the sizing right, you can trace the design to the shrinky dink and wind up with a really nice window. The shrinky dink does have a tendancy to warp a bit when shrinking, but since old stained glass windows tend to sag, this wouldn't be totally bad. Good luck! Love your dio!

Thanks Mark, i will look at the product online... gotta say the juvenile in me thinks the name could use some work though!
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mark, i will look at the product online... gotta say the juvenile in me thinks the name could use some work though!

Well, it is in fact a hobby thing for kids, but that's maybe not the kind of juvenile you meant ;-)

BTW, one of my other hobbies besides modeling actually is stained glass. Haven't done a church window yet, but maybe someday!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I wonder how effective that would be at giving him the transparent effect of glass that he's after. I guess if the decal was added to clear plastic it could work.

this was one of my original ideas guys... the problem has been getting it right the first time because I only have so much stock and have already put out more cash than I would like to.

I am currently, as in just now, making yet another window for the outside corner window that actually fits inside the window frame....something I have been looking at fixing since I started these on Saturday. This window is made out of 2 pieces of plastruct 91812 agitated water clear plastic sheet. It gives a "pebbled" effect that I believe is well scaled for 35th scale...

I will post pictures in a day or two max when i have a new one done up.

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, it is in fact a hobby thing for kids, but that's maybe not the kind of juvenile you meant ;-)

BTW, one of my other hobbies besides modeling actually is stained glass. Haven't done a church window yet, but maybe someday!

Thats cool Mark, my brother Chris does stained glass too, when he's not hiking or camping or something else extreme like skydiving or basejumping!

And yes I was being a bit more slapstick in my reference

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 04:12 PM UTC
Well I was able to do a "test" window using the new pebbled "glass". Looks like it will work as well as the other examples which are now just going to go into the ever expanding collection of good ideas made obsolete by experience, practise and user imput from the interweb forums....

I will see how it looks in the church and try to find those perfect images for the 2 spaces for a church built prior to the 1930's in somewhere in Central Europe, most likely Germany or Holland or somewhere thereabouts.

Keep up the feedback as I do please.

Dave
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 05:03 PM UTC
Hang in there, Dave. I think you've found a great challenge, and half the fun is figuring out how to conquer it.

Tough to tell since the picture is ever so slightly out of focus, but it looks to me like the pebbly glass may be too course to give the right effect to scale.

with your permission, as time permits I'll try to do some experimenting at home with some different materials to see if I can hit on any good ideas.