Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hey Dave, after watching this come together and just sitting on the side lines, I personaly love the composition and the stone work. Dam fine job. But 2 observations I have to point out that can still be taken care of. The left side of your church/abbey were you have the end of your tin roof, you should close up the second floor as it walks into the depth of your base. 2nd, inside you have a large bit of your tower that has no support under it, not sound for all that stone to be held up by the floor beams. Easy fix for you would to create a thick arch made of wood from one side of the tower wall to the outside wall on the far left. Both easy fix's even at this stage which would do nothing but add the needed structure correctly. Other than that, I just really love your thought and skill that has gone into this superb dio. The stone work, assembling and painting/weathering are top notch. Don't take what I said as bad critisisem, just an arketectual over look.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Dave, after watching this come together and just sitting on the side lines, I personaly love the composition and the stone work. Dam fine job. But 2 observations I have to point out that can still be taken care of. The left side of your church/abbey were you have the end of your tin roof, you should close up the second floor as it walks into the depth of your base. 2nd, inside you have a large bit of your tower that has no support under it, not sound for all that stone to be held up by the floor beams. Easy fix for you would to create a thick arch made of wood from one side of the tower wall to the outside wall on the far left. Both easy fix's even at this stage which would do nothing but add the needed structure correctly. Other than that, I just really love your thought and skill that has gone into this superb dio. The stone work, assembling and painting/weathering are top notch. Don't take what I said as bad critisisem, just an arketectual over look.

Hey Bob, thanks for your getting into the conversation and for the advise. I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean by the first point though. Do you mean that the roof wouldn't stay where it is because there is so little structure remaining under it? Or something else?

As for your second point I'm thinking that the beams that are underneath the tower would probably span and lock into the stonework of the walls and take the load.

That said you have me wondering If they may well be undersized. There is only about three feet of the tower which is unsupported by the exterior walls, and what could be called the south wall for conversations sake.

I'm no engineer for sure but I think it is much like a cantilevered bay window type dealio where you generally can have a jut out in a structure where the weight of the jut out is supported by the joists or beams or plates of the section which is inside the main structure. This in my mind at least would allow for my structure to stand as built.

And again for conversations sake, wouldn't the roof trusses and the rest of the building support that south side of the tower?

Lastly I will say that there are several things I still desire to accomplish in the "back end" of the story, but for now I have been concentrating on the courtyard where most of the action takes place and where the largest number of deficiencies lay.

I really do appreciate your insights though and look forward to your reply.

Thanks again.

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:23 AM UTC
As a teaser, and since Bob has had me looking at the backend of my church for the past half hour now I have made a list of the main things I plan on sprucing up before I call this build done.

Here goes...

1. The church doors lack any form of handles, both inside and out.
2. The paneling is architecturally quite nice, but needs more character in its finishing; ie. some depth of field I that's the correct terminology.
3. The radio station needs the rest of the equipment Kate's out and the power cords and wires installed.
4. The piano, while well thought out and planned is in need of a serious rework in one crucial area... The strings. Well wires actually. I have been pondering how to do that for a long time and finally think I know how to do it. Stay tuned for that one.
5. The flooring is just off. Too many different sections. Kinda goofy I know. Got some ideas on that one too.
6. The bell tower will be the toughest but it needs the least amount of attention. Some debris and clutter at most.

Well that should keep is all looking forward to future updates.

Again. Thanks for your comments guys.

Dave.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 12:12 PM UTC

Hi Dave,

like the new tree a bunch...and I still love your palette!!

Well done!!

Cheers

Romain

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 12:27 PM UTC
Tanks Romain :-) a little armour humour there.

I'm sure getting some good input from everyone. I keep looking at what other guys are doing to get a handle on the little things. I've never used pigments for example, and searched a few builds to find some good tutorials and examples of how to do it. Still trying to figure it out but making some headway.

One of my original goals way back in the day was for this diorama to have an almost monochromatic color scheme, with some flashes of light juxtaposed into the bleary, dreariness of the battlefield.

Much more to do still so I better get back at it.

Thanks for your encouragements and comments.

Oh yeah I also need to out the two stained glass windows in on the main floor window openings.

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 04:45 PM UTC
I spent a bit of time today doing some Jerry Can building, four parts to each one and those handles just never seem to fit just right. And the spouts are tiny. My fingers are not. Tough trimming and trying to hold and manipulate teeny weeny pieces.

And put this acetylene torch piece together thinking it may look and work well out in the mix.

When I tried it in a few spots I didn't like the scale of it or the way it looked in different spots. Didn't look believable enough to me.

More in a bit...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 04:54 PM UTC
It's been hard for me to get any real clear well focused pics of the old guy but since he fell off last week I got the opportunity to get up close and personal with him today on the deck...

Without a doubt my best paint job ever. IMHO.

Have to remember to cut the two little nubs from the etch on the sides of the spanner! Oops.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 05:15 PM UTC
Looking at where the second Mecher will look best. Pretty sure he will end up at the back of the engine compartment, probably holding a carburator. Tried to prime his head, the capped guy and messed it up using my airbrush. Not sure why it doesn't work very well as often as it seems to but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

The above location here is one I am sure wouldn't work for the mechers....

That's where he belongs I think.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 05:31 PM UTC
A couple randoms...

Next a few to show a bit more details of the final placing of the trees that will bless the front of the courtyard.

All for now. Daylight savings time tonight. Gotta go to bed

Dave
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 07:03 PM UTC
Wow Dave! Big post today!

I agree with you on the acetalyne tanks and trolley - how would it get there? You'd need to add a service truck too! I don't think you need another project :-)

The "old guy" does look really good - nice work! (I stink at figures, so, envious of you guys who do it so well!) something to strive for...

Nice pics too - your composition, colors and texture show up really well

You were busy today!

Take care
Nick
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:23 PM UTC

Hi Dave,

agree with Nick that this dio is really something, and so is the old chap. I'd be proud of that painting too!!

The second mech sitting over the open engine hatch is a great idea!

What amazed me most in this last series of pics is the close-up of the wrought iron fence....that rust looks so real!!!

And the coherence in colours that you wanted to achieve IS definitely achieved!!

This dio contributes to the high standard of this forum IMHO!!

Well done indeed!

Cheers

Romain

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 01:55 AM UTC
Thanks Nick. Something to strive for is achievable with time and patience and perseverance. Figures don't come naturally to me so I have to work harder at them but starting to feel more confident. It will come for you too if you practice. I guarantee it.

Thanks Romain. I think it is getting there too. Won't get much done today so I worked on it as much as I could yesterday.

Take care fellas.

Dave
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:30 AM UTC
Very nice progress. The trees look ok in these new pics. It must have been the camera that made me think they were leaning.
Cool details in the maint. area. For some reason I feel like slapping the smile off the face of the dude leaning against the wall. As a former NCO,he is commiting two heinous army offenses. "Holding my wall up that doesn't need holding" and"hands in pockets",punishable by boatloads of pushups and some gentle language.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice progress. The trees look ok in these new pics. It must have been the camera that made me think they were leaning.
Cool details in the maint. area. For some reason I feel like slapping the smile off the face of the dude leaning against the wall. As a former NCO,he is commiting two heinous army offenses. "Holding my wall up that doesn't need holding" and"hands in pockets",punishable by boatloads of pushups and some gentle language.
J

I think he may actually be trying to catch a few Zzzzzz's too. When I managed a restaurant many years ago I would tell people that if they had time to lean they had time to clean. Do something man! Some guys are just oblivious of the impending doom I guess.

Hope to get mecher 2's arms attached and paint his head today.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:04 PM UTC
Got this guy cleaned up and reprinted.

Couldn't find the right arms for his torso, but primed it anyway and got the base coat on.

More tonight or tomorrow.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:11 PM UTC
Was thinking about your thoughts on the bell tower structure Bob. I think the arch you are suggesting would have to come out towards the very back of the diorama correct?

NOT like this:

Am I in the ballpark Bob?

I looked for a shot from a better angle to draw on but couldn't find a decent one. It has to go the other way right? If I were to build one that is...

X8-)
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 01:21 PM UTC
Hey Bob. Just re read your suggestion and saw I missed reading some of it. You say the arch should actually go in the direction I have sketched on the photo. It actually makes a lot more sense when I read the whole thing.

I will contemplate it and let you know if I decide to build one. Or maybe I will make a mock up to mull over for a few days. Anyway I am sure all of us will know what becomes of it soon enough.

Thanks again for the suggestions and your comments. Another set of eyes is always helpful.

Dave.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 04:59 PM UTC
Just enough time before bed for a cautionary tale and a rant like vent...

ALWAYS wash your model prior to priming it, and always if you brush the primer on make sure you let it dry completely before you begin to put down a base coat or the like. Because when you brush on primer it is usually a heavier coat than if you airbrush it on.

Airbrushing is the way to go IMHO, but with mine going wonky more often then not I decided to brush on my Vallejo primer. Well forgetting as I often do to wash off the oils an stuff left from building and general handling, I began to lay down some base dark rubber color overtop the primer which was apparently still not dry...

Not a good idea. Also, trying to fix it up before the first coat of base color is dry is not a good idea. Compound this by attempting to fix the initial fix, then try to fix the fixes fix will result in you having to soak a figure in windex overnight to hopeful lift the rough layers of acrylics off the styrene so you can begin the process again and effectively loose a days work in the process.

Aarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

And that's not even the worst part. I also basically repeated this fiasco with the head I plan on joining to the mecher's body. Lessons learned the hard way are often the best lessons, so they say.

Did I mention AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 01:39 AM UTC
Well on the plus side I was able to prime Mecher2 before going to work this morning. Should be good and dry to base coat when I get home. Also able to clean up his head to the point where I could even out the mess to a salvageable place.

Cross your fingures for me.

Hit 8 degrees Celsius yesterday. Another warm one expected today in the capital region. Sadly I have to say we need more snow, not the rain they are forecasting.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:37 PM UTC
I was able to track down the name of the trees that I see all around my neighbourhood. They are called Columnar Aspens. Very tight growth and narrow stance. Very hardy and fast growing.

Just FYI.

More coming later. I am in the process of painting Mecher2 and want to concentrate on finishing him tonight

X8-)
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 03:42 PM UTC
Fingers crossed on that paint job! You realize, the high quality of the other guy has now set your standard....I'm just sayin.....(haha)

Good luck!

Nick
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 04:51 PM UTC
I know all to well Nick, it's why I've taken my time and why figures scare the *rap out if me. But I will persevere and get better as I go. I do like to try new things too though and this one has a few different "techniques" if you will. One thing I am learning is that you don't really need much paint. I waste 90 % of the paint I begin with. Need to take a paint calibration tutorial.

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 06:08 PM UTC
Last post for the night. Model club tomorrow. Am taking my diorama again. As it stands a work still in progress. Can't seem to find the arms of Mecher2!!??

Oh well, they will turn up I'm sure eventually.

Lesson learned tonight? Maybe have all your other figures close by when painting one which will be in close proximity. I think I did ok, for me for sure, but the color pallete is way too dark. Looks like he has been sunning on the riviera.

Cest la vie. ?

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:09 AM UTC
Here is the body of Mecher2.

And his head...

Sorta has the big eyed look. I will have to fix that. And his complexion as I mentioned last night is too dark. It will have to do for now though.

Dave
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC
You will overcome this. I have confidence in you. Don't you hate painting those heads with the hats molded on? Argggg,I can't stand them. I have actually taken to removing the hats or helmets and replacing them when the faces are painted.
J