Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 04:20 PM UTC
Just a couple more pix of the first of four windows, two for each opening in the church. I chose to make two for each opening, one for each of the inside and outside of the windows.

One will sit on the inner ledge of the window opening and one will occupy the outer edge. Perhaps for convenience sake or maybe because it makes sense in my feeble mind, but I think the result will be the same. I believe it will work and the overall build will not be compromised. Either way I must say that I am just practicing techniques here and no diorama is ever perfect. No diorama.

Take care all
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 04:23 PM UTC
wow, Dave! I really like the look of your latest attempt. If you can incorporate a stylized cross or something like that into the design I think you'd really have broken the code on this.

What are you using to simulate the lead lines? It's a bit out of scale, but I think it is more than balanced aesthetically by the three dimensional effect you've achieved. Can't wait to see the end result--I hope you're going to wire your church with lighting!

Is it the same seedy glass you had showed pictures of before? Maybe because the clarity is better in this picture, but the texture in this photo looks much more in-scale. Beautiful!

Mark
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 04:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

wow, Dave! I really like the look of your latest attempt. If you can incorporate a stylized cross or something like that into the design I think you'd really have broken the code on this.

What are you using to simulate the lead lines? It's a bit out of scale, but I think it is more than balanced aesthetically by the three dimensional effect you've achieved. Can't wait to see the end result--I hope you're going to wire your church with lighting!

Is it the same seedy glass you had showed pictures of before? Maybe because the clarity is better in this picture, but the texture in this photo looks much more in-scale. Beautiful!

Mark

Quoted Text

put quote text here

Yep same glass as before, in the photo with all the sguiggly shapes and mostly blues and purple color. Just evergreen quarter round. I'm in bed now do l can't tell you the size, but pretty thin. It doesn't look so large when placed in the opening.

I will have more done tomorrow. And a cross is panned for this window.

As far as lights are concerned I am thinking about drilling a hole in each window sill and putting in a tiny LED in between each panel. And also as a side note, a lazy Susan device on the bottom of the frame so the whole diorama can be spun around for better viewing. All that and two services today at my own church. A good days work!

Dave

Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 07:25 PM UTC
Hi Dave - it looks like all of your R&D is paying off - looking good! The quarter round looks like a nice solution - I like your back story - seems reasonable (I get the practical constraints too) I don't know enough of the region's history (essentially nothing) to comment on the design - looks good, but maybe a bit too contemporary? Post war? Normative assertion by me...that is, only a gut call tho - my guess regarding vintage aside, it looks very good!

Looking forward to seeing them installed!

Cheers
Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 02:01 AM UTC
Those windows have turned into quite an odessey haven't they? Too bad the hope and faith didn't turn out as I really liked those two.
But the latest one really has the look of leaded glass.
Nice work,
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those windows have turned into quite an odessey haven't they? Too bad the hope and faith didn't turn out as I really liked those two.
But the latest one really has the look of leaded glass.
Nice work,
J

Yes, yes they have Jerry. I haven't completely ruled out trying again to make a slightly more elaborate window; ie the Fait and Hope duo but right now I am more interested in getting these ones in place so I can get onto another task as time is running faster and faster toward my arbitrary completion date...

Dave.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 06:47 AM UTC
As one of your more quiet viewers I've got to ask when you arbitrary completion date is? Just wondering if I should be loiking for this beautiful beast of a diorama at AMPS this year. Amazing stuff.

-Conor
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As one of your more quiet viewers I've got to ask when you arbitrary completion date is? Just wondering if I should be loiking for this beautiful beast of a diorama at AMPS this year. Amazing stuff.

-Conor

Hey Conor, I hadn't seen you here for some time. Although I isn't do any work on this diorama for 18 months or so so I really don't blame you for losing track of it. Glad you are back.

My ACP, ( arbitrary completion date) is June 1st this year. I need to move on to a new project. I doubt that I will be entering it in any competitions. I put it into the Western Canadian Regional Model Exhibition in 2012 and won two awards for it. It has seen a large amount of renovations since then and I am hoping to display it this year at the same show, here in Edmonton on the exhibitors table.

The response so far has been very positive on the rework so I think it will garner a lot of attention at the show, but I simply don't have the time or money to travel to other parts of the continent to enter other shows. Maybe someday I will but I certainly don't right now.

My timeline is due to the push to open up the golf course I maintain as early as possible. Public golf courses in this neck of the woods need as many open days as we can manufacture so once we really get going I'm busy for seven months on average nonstop more or less.

But I never say never so it is possible that this diorama and I may end up at a show near you someday.

Again thanks for dropping by Conor.

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave - it looks like all of your R&D is paying off - looking good! The quarter round looks like a nice solution - I like your back story - seems reasonable (I get the practical constraints too) I don't know enough of the region's history (essentially nothing) to comment on the design - looks good, but maybe a bit too contemporary? Post war? Normative assertion by me...that is, only a gut call tho - my guess regarding vintage aside, it looks very good!

Looking forward to seeing them installed!

Cheers
Nick

Nick, contemporay is okay in my book, because the way I see it the guy that did the wartime replacements could have ended upbeing the postwar contemporary stained glass guru?! stranger things have hapened...

I saw a 1930's Bugatti sports car in one of the latest model mags done up kinda steampunk like, but the guy kept the bodylines almost exactly the way they were in the 30's, a very bold and futuristic look for that era.

Contemporay is just the word people call the results of someone pushing the envelope, IMHO.

And even then, all the great examples of art and literature, architecture and scientific endeavor were thought to be outlandish and unatainable or simply wacko, until they ecame the norm.

I read this weekend that in the late twenties I believe, Albert Einstein still believed that no one would ever be able to harness the power of the atom because it would mean that it would have to be split apart, and that that was impossible.

just food for thought...

And Thanks for the compliments. I will look at the bag when I am home later and let you know the size of the quarter round. I do know that there was a size smaller produced, but the peg on the hobby shop rack was empty!!! Damn inventory takers...

take care my friend,

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:47 PM UTC
Hey Nick, here is a picture of the quarter round I am using.... Who knows, maybe you will find some and try your hand at a nice stained glass window and show this rookie how it's done...

Later skater

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 04:10 PM UTC
So I have built an actual window!!! Horray!!!

A simple straight forward design with seven colours, or five colors and two shades of two of the colors. Pebbled styrene and quarter round. Basic and quick. Kinda how I like it. Oh yeah and the help of a masking tape template and a black sharpie marker.

And a sharp number eleven blade.

Here it is...

Will still dust it up a bit, and make it look a little less brand new for sure, which will obviously change the tonal qualities somewhat.

All for tonight fellas. Sleep tight.

Dave
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 04:40 PM UTC
Dave,
That really looks awesome, and your perseverence really paid off.

However, my own knowledge of the stained glass craft and my inherently anal retentive nature impel me to make a couple of observations for your consideration. Looks like you've already installed the windows, so I maybe a day late and a dollar short, but I throw them out anyway--for the benefit of anyone else planning to add such a brilliant feature to their future projects.

First, glass hates interior angles--you just can't cut them without a ring saw, which didn't exist then, so some of the shapes could not have existed in a church window.

Second, the size of some of your larger shapes, when brought to 1:1 scale would have vastly exceeded the size of panels that glass makers would have been able to produce.

Fear not though, I think by adding just a few more lead lines you'll have it. I've added some lines to show how it you could fix point one.

Point two two would be solved by ensuring no piece exceeds about 24 scale inches (about .7" at 1/35 scale) in a dimension.

Whether you use this input or not, I love your windows!

BTW, laser transparencies went into the post today. Hope they show up soon.

Mark
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hey Mark. Thanks for the advise. I haven't set them in the stone yet, just tacked this one in to take a couple shots. I thought they would need more sections. It's an easy fix. How did they do curves then? I see lots of windows with round or curved pieces. Is it an illusion?

Teach me sensi!

Dabe
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC
Dave,
Good question. The glass is cut by scoring it with a diamond cutter and then breaking it by "bending" the glass. If things go well (which they often don't!) the break will follow the score, even with moderate curvature. But once the curves get too tight the break just won't turn the corner, and it ends up going in directions you didn't intend. With modern tools like diamond saws and diamond grinders we have a lot more flexibility with the shapes we can achieve, but you still will not see interior corners much because they are hard to cut and foil.

Could go into more detail, but don't think you'd be particularly interested. Bottom line: Curves good, inside corners bad.

Oh, and don't forget--every line has to end at another line. Otherwise, it would be like cutting halfway through a piece of glass and then adding lead--couldn't be done. Looks like you've got this covered with the current design.

Mark
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 03:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,
Good question. The glass is cut by scoring it with a diamond cutter and then breaking it by "bending" the glass. If things go well (which they often don't!) the break will follow the score, even with moderate curvature. But once the curves get too tight the break just won't turn the corner, and it ends up going in directions you didn't intend. With modern tools like diamond saws and diamond grinders we have a lot more flexibility with the shapes we can achieve, but you still will not see interior corners much because they are hard to cut and foil.

Could go into more detail, but don't think you'd be particularly interested. Bottom line: Curves good, inside corners bad.

Oh, and don't forget--every line has to end at another line. Otherwise, it would be like cutting halfway through a piece of glass and then adding lead--couldn't be done. Looks like you've got this covered with the current design.

Mark

Mark. I took the advice of an expert in stained glass artistry and made some adjustments to my window. It was a simple fix and while I didn't use all your suggestions; it is my window after all I think the results are good.

The one large panel on the bottom left side measures a scale 2.5 feet x 1 foot. Is that too big? Have a look if you have time and let me know.

Dave

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 03:48 PM UTC
Dave,
Looks really great! To my eye that one panel in the center left still looks a bit large, but I'm not expert enough on the history of architectural stained glass to say with any level of certainty it's not realistic.

I'm guessing your consulting expert is your brother, Chris, am i right? Who could blame you for taking his advise over some wacko nutjob you only just met on the internet

Really looks awesome!

Mark
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,
Looks really great! To my eye that one panel in the center left still looks a bit large, but I'm not expert enough on the history of architectural stained glass to say with any level of certainty it's not realistic.

I'm guessing your consulting expert is your brother, Chris, am i right? Who could blame you for taking his advise over some wacko nutjob you only just met on the internet

Really looks awesome!

Mark

Lol. Well I guess you are smarter, or wiser then me. I usually go for the internet nut jobs first, and then if doesn't work I ask my relatives:-)

Thanks though, I like the look of this one. Hopefully the other ones turn out this well.

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 04:04 PM UTC
Knowing some of my relatives, I could see that approach as well. Does not qualify me as being smarter or wiser--simply more liberal than most in my willingness to offer up my opinion regardless of whether it's been asked for or not.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 01:00 AM UTC
Haha. Yeah. Hoping to polish off another one later today. Not sure if I will get lighting put in or not, but I'm leaning towards doing it since my plan is to redo the floor in the back end of the church, so I can bury the wiring at the same time...

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 01:32 PM UTC
Got busy over the supper hour and fasted a meal so I could concentrate on getting the inside window for the front entrance glass. Not quite a lent fast, but then I'm not Catholic so I don't generally follow Lent.

Took a few shots in outdoor natural post 3 inch snowfall light to post...

This one shows the inner panel prior to staining...

And in process...

Dave
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 01:47 PM UTC
Very nicely done!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC
Thanks Mark. I'm about to glue them into the church. Well the inner one anyway. I'm going to drill a hole in the bottom of the sill before I put the outer one in for good, just in case I wire a light inside later when I do the floor.

It looks like the one panel at the top is blue, but it really is the same purple color as it's doppelgänger on the other side.

Later
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:44 AM UTC
Yep,
That's the ticket,
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 05:00 PM UTC
Took a break from stained glass tonight. Actually did rs do any real modelling until about a half hour ago. Decided to put a couple thin coats of skin tone on Mecher2's new head.

Got a set of loops from another Dentist my wife now works for. Trying them out. Anyone ever use them before you'll know what I mean when I say there is a learning curve.

That said I love the detail I can see while I'm wearing them!!! Just have to get used to them and it could get fun to paint figures in a hurry. Even moving back and forth to put paint on the brush is a challenge at first but gets easier quite quickly.

Just kidding. Fooled around with the photobucket image editor for a minute.

First coat on.

And second below...

So far so good!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 05:14 PM UTC
Also begin the modification of the piano as well. I really y don't like the strings, and always knew they could look so much better.

Have thought about it for some time as to how to make them look way more realistic. Decided on a simple jig. Jigs are great for so many tasks. I love jigs.

A piece of plastic a little larger than the size of the soundboard.

Chose the thickest one I had...

And got a spool of my fine brass coloured wire. I tried using it before once, but without a jig of some kind it's nearly impossible to get it straight.

You can tell how hard it is to straighten in this pic.

But tape it to the jig, then start winding it around. Soon, in less time then it takes to watch Tribal Council on the PVR, voila...

A nice straight line of piano strings

Now I have them superglued in the back of the jig, so once I pry the soundboard out of the piano I can just glue it down on the topside of the jig, carefully, and cut the strings from the jig along the edge of the soundboard.

All for now

Dave