Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 02:56 AM UTC
YOUR WORK ITS FANTASTIC
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thanks Augusto. I am glad everyone who looks in on it likes what I am creating. I feel I am quite close now to finishing the work, and getting all the loose ends tied up.

Thanks for the clarification Jerry. My wife of twenty years would probably agree with your girlfriend. lol I learn new things everyday.

Celebrate your life today, even of you're having a rough day like me. It beats being dead.

Dave
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 12:54 PM UTC
Dave and Jerry:

I believe the Hammer Beam is the "broken" horizontal member working with the sloped and vertical bits. The continuous horizontal going all the way across is called the collar tie or collar beam, and sometimes strut or brace, although strut and brace sometimes refer to the vertical and diagonal bits too.
Confused now??

Anyway, it all looks good.

Happy Modeling, -zon
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hey Zon, thanks for " clearing that up" ?

096+6/*

************/746-+
. 852187-9-+==

Sorry for the interruption, my 20 month old daughter wanted to do some blogging & it was so cute I thought I would leave it in the thread!

So I will have to look on google for a definitive explanation...lol.

dave

here is a link to a full explanation:

http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/image-files/hammer-beam-sketch.gif

Zon although your bang on, I sometimes have to see it to fully understand it.

l8r
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 02:29 PM UTC
Dave: that's a great diagram! Thanks for sharing.

Zon
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hey you are welcome my Hawaii living modeling friend! There are times when the internet is very helpful.... and not a complete waste of time.

Gotta go, watching survivor that we taped earlier.

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 12:58 PM UTC
Very quick update because I was blessed by my local Hobby Shop owner Tim at Model Baron Hobbies!

Had not been by the store for a couple weeks now so i stopped by to say hi. He asked me how the diorama was going and I told him i gave up looking for copper & was almost finished building the roof out of sheet plastic. while I was standing there he says to wait a minute, and soon pulls several packets of copper sheets from behind his till. Says here can you use this? no charge!!! not on the inventory! I said SWEET!!!!! Now I have to get the copper installed, but first the oxidation process.

Need to remember how my grade 6 science teacher demonstrated oxidization of copper with pennies and something else connected in a solution by alligator clip?

Here are 2 shots of the copper sheet..... did I mention: SWEET!!!!!

More on the copper later.

Have a great time modeling everyone!

FREE, FREE, FREE!!!!!

Dave
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 03:02 PM UTC
Dave: what a great score!! It looks very much like the metal roofing typical here on the islands. I look forward to seeing you use it. Have a great weekend.

Happy Modeling, -zon
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 05:31 AM UTC
Thanks Zon... I think it will be PERFECT! I am stoked to cut it up and start putting it own. I have enough that I can safely experiment with the oxidation process and still have lots left over if I make a mistake.

Have a great weekend as well. I just got back from the course. I watered greens last night, it was supposed to be 4C & overcast, so i set the computer to start watering at 3AM, so if a head stuck on again it would not rune more that 3 hours before I got there. Instead of overcast & 4C it was clear & minus 2C. had 18 skating rinks this morning....

I will post some shots tonight I hope. Of the roof, not the skating rinks....

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 12:10 PM UTC
Working with sheet metal at full scale is hard enough to do, but let me tell you from a short time with scale copper sheet and limited photo etch experience, this afternoon has tested the limits of my abilities.

That being said I think I am starting to get the hang of it. here are a few teaser shots of the progress I have made on my copper roof attempt.

first the basic roof mad of plastic, to which the copper will be affixed to:

I am thinking of several sections of differing lengths to give the roof some character...

I began with the flashing around the lower tier of the roofline.

I cut the strip of copper oversized, & just bent it along one of the lines already impressed onto the sheet.

then I began at the upper outside edge of the section of roof and gently, slowly bent the copper around the plastic smoothing and straightening as I went along, cutting the corner with finger nail trimming scissors.

For the sections I really lucked out. I had planned to do it in just plastic and went with an arbitrary measurement of 3 feet between the support beams. Well the copper sheet is corrugated just perfectly to fit those measurements....Yay!

I am laying down a thin strip of copper over the plastic stiffener, just in case so no unsightly white plastic will be seen underneath the copper when I am done.

And finally here is a picture of the copper sheets out of their plastic.

It is continuing to be an adventure everyone!

Continue to have a great weekend... I am

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 04:14 PM UTC
Just so everyone who may be curious knows, I have not fallen off the face of the planet, nor given up on my hopes to have this project completed in time for this seasons Western Canadians show, but my job & family concerns have set me back a bit... that being said I was able to make some headway on the copper roof tonight and will post some more pics possibly as early as tuesday afternoon local time.

I will prevail! I will succeed! I will probably have an aneurism trying to finish! But seriously, I will complete my tasks in time!

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 04:36 PM UTC
As promised, but slightly later than expected here is a small update on the project. A copper roof seemed like a good idea at the time, it's been easier said then done however. But I think the results will over shadow the temporary aggravations along the way.

this is a shot of one of the individual pieces of the lower roof section.
I bent the edges with my Etch Mate, the ones I didn't bend with just a stick that is. I used some finger nail scissors to make the tiny cuts in the copper where bends would be. they worked better then real tin snips!

I fashioned each piece to fit over the plastic section of the roof I first thought I would simply paint copper color, because it seemed simpler to do then to fashion it right on the wooden church roof. using some wooden sticks used in pottery tooling I deepened the ridges and edges of the copper pieces:

then I glued each panel to the plastic using CA glue, only occasionally adhering my fingers as well...

this is how the bottom section came out:

I will continue the update on Thursday. It is 10:35 PM here and my alarm is set for 4AM, so I really need to go to bed!

Enjoy the night/day you are having everyone!

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
when I went to glue the bottom section to the roof, I didn't get it lined up just right before the Ca set, so I had to try to carefully pry it off and realign it.

I was careful, but the glue was already too well set, and I broke the piece right off,,,,

Fortunately I was able to get the two pieces separated and then glued up correctly. I think I will go get some 5 minute epoxy before I glue the second section down!

zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 04:04 PM UTC
Very nice Dave. The copper looks good.

Happy Modeling, -zon
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 01:48 AM UTC
Thanks Zon, I was beginning to wonder if I had offended everyone with something i may have said in a post as no one had commented on the progress since I posted a couple weeks ago. But then I realized that if others are even half as busy as I am they are all off the site living life too...but is is nice to see comments like yours when I do see them. After missing a couple weeks I seem to need the positive affirmation.

Have a great Mother's Day Zon!

Dave
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 02:05 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
My compliments on the diorama so far, the detail is outstanding. Well done.
Regards,
Garth
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 02:18 AM UTC
Well Dave,you are correct about everyone being busy but there is no excuse for not taking the time to make a few comments. It only takes seconds. If one has the time to look in at the forum then there should be a few seconds left to post a short comment? I am guilty as well. The roof is looking superb and I love the attention to the details of sheathing,etc.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 03:30 AM UTC
Thanks Garth I appreciate your comments.

Jerry your POW diorama is coming out so well. I again am floored with how well you have captured the figures poses. And you're painting is exquisite. Job extremely well done.

Looking forward to the next update.

Dave.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Zon, I was beginning to wonder if I had offended everyone with something i may have said in a post as no one had commented on the progress since I posted a couple weeks ago. But then I realized that if others are even half as busy as I am they are all off the site living life too...but is is nice to see comments like yours when I do see them. After missing a couple weeks I seem to need the positive affirmation.

Have a great Mother's Day Zon!

Dave

Dave: I think "busy" is the correct term for the past few weeks.

Happy Mother's Day to you and yours as well.

Happy Modeling, -zon
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 03:23 PM UTC
Another small update, as I have made some progress today in putting the final touches on the new copper roof. And yes we did celebrate Mother's Day in our home, but Sunday afternoons is traditionally a great nap time for the ladies in the house so I redeemed the time by modeling.

Here is a shot of the copper sheet I experimented with the liquid solution for aging it, an the solution itself:

and another shot of the results:

I tried to add a second layer, but did not wait long enough between coats and some of the oxidation of the second coat lifted up the oxidation of the first coat, bubbling the surface. This is why some of the sheet remains bare copper. The manufacturer recommends a sealer coat on the surface when completed.

More to come, commercials are over so I am off to enjoy a yummy dessert with my lovely wife.

l8r, Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 04:11 PM UTC
Last set of pics before bed.

Overall view of the two sections, and how they line up.

another view from above. You can see the wood of the roof sub assembly and where it is damaged. I plan on having the copper roof destroyed in this area with just pieces of the lower section intact and the upper section having just some support structures for the sheeting left...

Here is a closer view of the damaged, most likely from some sort of cannon fire or artillery rounds or perhaps a bomb blast from an air raid?

The last 2 photos are of the roof end detail, in which you can see the drip edge detail on the two sections of the copper roof. I still have to manufacture a piece which will integrate the upper & lower fascias together.

All for tonight everyone. Have a great Monday!

Dave
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hi dave, i really like your copper work and will certainly come back to look at this treat to eventually copy it :-)

Claude
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
Thanks Claude, I am certain when you get the chance to build your first copper roof that you will take what I have done and improve upon it to the point it will look completely like a full scale work of art. I am counting the days to the western Canadians, June 1st. I am going to have to motor to be ready, but ready I will be!

Take care, enjoy the week....

Dave
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC
Dave: the copper roof looks good and the patina experiment looked fun. Motor on!!

Happy Modeling, -zon
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hey Zon, just got home from a 5AM aerating shift, and going to go down to the dungeon to continue the work, back to the course at 5AM Wednesday morning to Spray fertilizer on the greens... and the beat goes on!

Mahalo for the compliments, another update soon.

Dave