Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
The 251 Campaign
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hi guys, this is my first post for this campaign thorough this link: Build Log: 'Get Ready' Vignette

See you again friends!

Cheers

Garry
2ndWorcesters
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:44 PM UTC
RJ the pioneer 251 looks superb mate. I really like the detail, camo and weathering.

Well done.

Alan
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:54 PM UTC
Thanks Alan. Just some little work left. I'm busy with other practical stuff right now. Later this week a lot of progress on the 251/1 C will beworth showing. Just a little rest from modeling right now.

Cheers,

RJ
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 06:19 AM UTC
I got the lower hull, suspension, interior sidewalls, dash, and running gear pre-painted.

The instruments are provided as decals. Mine really did not want to lay down on the dash. I actually lost two of them as they fold over while I was trying to get them to settle. I painted the big white one and the bottom black one on the right.

That's it for now.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hi fellas, my recent update for this campaign can be followed again via this link: Build Log: 'Get Ready' Vignette

See you again friends!

Cheers

Garry
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi guys.
To all participants of this campaign, announcement from my side.
This morning lawyer from brother in Thailand finaly made a decision. As per mid July I'm going to live in Bangkok. Gona work in Bangkok, managing a new warehouse for the Tess-Am company, specialized in recycling computer/communication hardware, and leave The Netherlands. I'm all happy now.
After a year of fulltime modeling I'm going back to work.
Regarding this campaign, I'm trying to finish the 2 models end of this month.

Cheers,

RJ
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hello guys! Again, my recent update for this campaign can be followed again via this link: Build Log: 'Get Ready' Vignette

See you again soon!

Cheers

Garry
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 07:53 PM UTC
some great work... still no more progress on mine - i really need to dig out the cocktail stick and blutack to set up my painting "tree" of little bits then get back to the desk... 1 almighty KUTA needed
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hey Rob. Try to work anti-clockwise, when you hit a barrier like this. Works all the time for me.
I learned to work in a random way around the kits I make.
Lots of my unfinished builds were due to a step by step from the manual working rythm.
Anyway, like to see your pioneer gets some progress.

Cheers,

RJ
Removed by original poster on 05/21/14 - 18:16:03 (GMT).
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 06:37 AM UTC
I went ahead and started the roadwheels. I painted the rubber black and went ahead and painted the bench seats wood. In hindsight I probably would have went with the tube frame seats and used the backs with the springs molded on. I don't want to risk damaging the kit so I'll leave the simplified seats on

Added the roadwheels. I used a clamp to set up a jig to keep the wheels square while the cement sets up and dries.

The kit gives you the option of workable vision ports or cruder pieces for closed ports. The clear workable ones didn't work well and I ended up fixing them closed.

Rear door assemblies. The fit is pretty loose.

Prepaint the doors and finish the interior painting of the fighting compartment.

A couple of shots of the rear door assemblies. As posted, the fit is really loose and the doors tend to fall from their mounts. I'll probably cement them in to place.

Ands that's it for now. I'm thinking about using the 251 as a tow vehicle for a 5cm or 7.5cm pak. I've seen late war pictures of ausf. Ds used to tow 7.5cm guns. And I've seen kit builds of Cs pulling 3.7cm paks.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 01:59 PM UTC
Hi Alex,
It is coming along Nicely. I only am about 1/2 as far as you are.

mil
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi all, I see you doing that great. Here are some pictures of the progress on my transporter, I've done inside and soon I will begin painting the vehicle from the outside.

greetings
Paweł
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 02:27 PM UTC
Paweł: Really nice progress there--can't wait to see the outside looking as good as the in.

RJ: Glad to hear somebody found a new job--I've been suffering with temp positions for nearly 2 years now--but I don't think I can really manage going to the other side of the world.

Ricky: Most impressed with your build-log and the model so far

Personally I've got to get the matching King Tiger off my bench so I can try to solve the issues with my 251's rear quarters.
2ndWorcesters
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 01:38 AM UTC
Really nice work on that interior Pawel.
2ndWorcesters
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC
Not much to show and no where near the quality a lot of you guys are producing, but just showing progress made.

The strip of plastic towards the rear door is supposed to be where the second MG goes (hence the hole)but I don't recall seeing this on a 251, so I'll probably remove it and put the MG above the rear door.
2ndWorcesters
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 09:02 AM UTC
Just noticed these access hatches on the sloped edge of teh bonnet should be flush with the body of the vehicle, as I am guessing that this model is an Ausf.A.

corsair924
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 12:01 PM UTC
Alan,
Yeah, looking at the Osprey book on the 251
those two hatches should be ALMOST flush
a lot thinner than those model parts.
If it was mine I'd consider 3 options
1) sand down the side that will be inside until getting desired thickness==long and difficult
2) remake the parts out of thin plastic stock=how to replace the hinges as easily as possible. It can be done but will you like the output.
3) "to hell with it, Its built out of the box and anyone nitpicking should offer to buy you a better kit . . ."

But those are just my opinions.
You probably already considered them already.
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 07:48 PM UTC
more great work... Pawel, just noticed the bench seats in your are wood - am sure my AFV called for them to be tyre black - really need to check that when I get home (must say wood is a way more logical choice.... really like the weathering you have done....
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 08:50 PM UTC
Hi.
The change of material the benches were made of, is inherent to the manufacturer and date. For C & D versions it's different. C: the basic & complete - D: a Spartan.
In the links to this campaign on the first pages there are some guidelines.

RJ
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi.
The change of material the benches were made of, is inherent to the manufacturer and date. For C & D versions it's different. C: the basic & complete - D: a Spartan.
In the links to this campaign on the first pages there are some guidelines.

RJ

ahhhh ok - in that case will check my plans and stick to what I have
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 06:37 AM UTC
I got some work done to the 251. I decided to gamble on changing out the basic seats for one of the better sets included in the kit. Fortune was with me and the seats came out without much damage to the kit.

Assembled the better seats and painted them. I didn't use the seat backs with the PE springs. I figure the PE would fit badly with the way the seat backs bow out a bit.

No sense putting off the inevitable. Time for the tracks. As posted earlier, the instructions do not have any instruction steps for the tracks. They took a bit of figuring out but I don't think they'll be that bad. I'm leaving the rubber pads off until the lengths are assembled.

That's it for now.
corsair924
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 07:45 AM UTC
Looks good alex .
Tracks: yeah besides my 251 I've got three other tanks waiting for their treads. Think I may have to make a week long project of them all.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 04:23 AM UTC
Thanks. The tracks aren't that bad once you figure them out. Clean up is a bear and you have to grind them out. I've got one run of them painted with a base coat and drying now.

I'll start on the second run tonight and put the lessons learned from the first to work. The first run I connected the links then went back and added the rubber pads in sections. Probably the better way would be to pop the links together and add the pads then to hold them together.

I'm thinking that with some careful cementing you could make these workable.

I broke down my 5cm pak dio I did for Dragon OOB pt 1. The dio was a temporary build for the campaign. I'm still debating between having the 251 towing the 5cm or a 7.5cm pak gun. I'm thinking either one will have the crew outside the vehicle making camp. I probably will use the Miniart German Soldeirs at Rest set for that.
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 06:26 AM UTC
photos... still need to touch up, add few more bits and then weather...

14013008795570 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

14013008920261 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

14013009064302 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

14013009768014 by Rob Worth, on Flickr