Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Featherlight Tanks Campaign
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:37 PM UTC
OK. Got bored, went to Paint, created a .gif...

I'm not sure if this will work, but... the ol' college try!

I squashed it down in Paint but see here that perhaps it needs to get a little smaller... I'll go take another pass!

Bob
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:43 PM UTC
How about this size?

Bob
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:50 PM UTC
And - hey, I'm sorry 'bout this! It's all a learning experience - never "painted" before nor created any gif stuff!

Here's another version...

Maybe someone can collate these two latest efforts back to that list of possible awards?

Bob
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 04:01 PM UTC
And one last go at this thing did a little clean-up and better color...

I can make it smaller...

Bob
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 04:07 PM UTC
Bob the image needs to be 50x20 pix.

you can use a free image editor here:

http://pixlr.com/editor/

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 05:23 PM UTC
Personally I like the 2nd eagle feather. But we'll vote on it.
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 03:16 PM UTC
I'm cool with whatever you guys want to do.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:56 PM UTC
We're going to have to take a vote sooner or later.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC
Meanwhile, as we wait for that vote...

I think I just bought THE KIT I'll likely do for this featherweight biz!

Got a good deal on the Bronco M22 "Locust" US version kit at a show this past Saturday.. It has a gun (actually, 2 of them! ), it has tracks (and some of the more-intricate tiny suspension I've ever seen in a 1/35 kit other than that puzzle provided in the Vulcan Mk. VI kits... ), it has armor (OK, a very thin coat of, but, hey, beggars can't be choosers, right? They wanted it airborne and light - no heavy, tracked brick-outhouses allowed! ). It was light, a tank, actually did serve somewhere. And it'll allow me to produce something other than German! I am READY for this campaign, I do believe!

Bob
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:44 AM UTC
Nice choice Bob.

I might go for a HobbyBoss Pz I or a Dragon Pz I.
Still have to finish a couple of Campaigns...

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice choice Bob.

John; When you say "a HobbyBoss Pz I...", which are you thinking of? HB offers "only" the "odds and sods" of the Pz I world! One (the I-C) counts easily as being an honest featherweight... rare but really light! The other 2 HB Pz I kits I know of are the earlier and later version of that bloated mobile-pillbox Pz I-F! Perhaps the heaviest "featherweight candidate" going, at near to 20 tons per! Dragon's Pz I offerings, in contrast, all fall in the true feathery Pz IA and IB set!

PS: That Pz I-F is "doubly funny" as "featherweight tanks" go, being as it's both perhaps the heaviest "featherweight" and the lightest - armed (2 little MG)!

Bob
rockmart
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:25 PM UTC
Bob, you forgot the even more bloated Pz.Kpfw. II ausf. J
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 05:26 PM UTC
Whoa whoa guys... Aren't we forgetting the very heavy feather of a tank: the M41? At 23 tons I'd say it's a pretty heavy light tank.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoa whoa guys... Aren't we forgetting the very heavy feather of a tank: the M41? At 23 tons I'd say it's a pretty heavy light tank.

The M-41.... Right! Probably does take the prize for heaviest featherweight!

But actually, gents, I was mostly addressing the Panzer I family in my diversion, that being the range under consideration by John! The Pz I F and Pz II J were pretty much the same weight and very close in size and features. But as armament goes, the Pz II J was substantially "heavier", in that it featured a mighty 2cm KwK-38 auto-cannon!

The 41 was way heavier in armament than that puny 2cm thing - so rightly, I think, owns the prize for being both heaviest and most heavily-armed featherweight!

Bob
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:01 AM UTC
Lol. I see, I see. But actually... If you want to talk armament... then the M551 Sheridan would probably take the cake being that it has a 152mm gun... Which also fired anti-tank missles...
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:50 AM UTC
At just over 15 tons, the Sheridan is less of a tank and more of an airborne vehicle. AND the material is aluminum not metal, so is it a tank?

Jeff
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nice choice Bob.

John; When you say "a HobbyBoss Pz I...", which are you thinking of? HB offers "only" the "odds and sods" of the Pz I world! One (the I-C) counts easily as being an honest featherweight... rare but really light! The other 2 HB Pz I kits I know of are the earlier and later version of that bloated mobile-pillbox Pz I-F! Perhaps the heaviest "featherweight candidate" going, at near to 20 tons per! Dragon's Pz I offerings, in contrast, all fall in the true feathery Pz IA and IB set!

PS: That Pz I-F is "doubly funny" as "featherweight tanks" go, being as it's both perhaps the heaviest "featherweight" and the lightest - armed (2 little MG)!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes I was planning on the F.
Hobby Boss #83805 Pzkpfw I Ausf. F (VK18.01) Late or

Dragon 6207 Pzkpfw I Ausf. B DAK Version
Dragon 6222 Sd.Kfz. 265 kleine Panzerbefehlswagen I (3 in 1)

I agree it's a little heavy but still a light tanks.
Isn't it ?
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:05 AM UTC
John;

I've not actually handled the HB F kits, but expect that they would be pretty decent kits and nice builds, based on the great experience I had with HB's kit of the very similar II-J. I was in fact going to get the HB "later F" kit, but came across the new Bronco I-F kit for a great price, so decided I would go there, instead, on account of it having an interior that looks mighty nice from what-all I've seen.

I'm sure that the I-F counts as a "light tank", here, bloated as it is! But, as we have all discovered, I was certes hasty in claiming it to be "heaviest" of the "light" crowd!

I've built the Dragon I-B DAK kit - it's pretty nice but now a little long-in-tooth, compared to more-recent Dragon I-B kits. The less-pleasing aspects of that DAK kit are its older-version road wheels and idler - IF you have access to some newer Dragon Pz I wheels with those brass reinforcement rings and a newer Pz I-B idler such as found in those newer Dragon I-B variant "SmartKits", I would jump and swap them in. The other thing I find simply infuriating about ALL of Dragon's I-B kits, older and newer, is the curious total failure to detail in any way the ends of those bogie-frames - which had distinct and very visible cut-outs with adjusting bolts... The real frustrating part of this comes from the D actually showing this feature in all of its I-B type box-art - and never in their styrene!

Strange to say, Italeri actually at least molded a tiny "nipple" at the unit-end in their very old Pz I-B and PzJager I-B kits! But the D couldn't bother.

But... The fix is relatively easy, if a bit tedious... if you cut in a hollow and add a small bolt-head down in there, it will make that suspension pop!

The "Kleiner", while based on the Pz I-B, is a command vehicle and probably should not count here, IMHO, as it was not a combat tank but rather an armored observation post. But that's just my opinion! Dragon's Kleiners are, however, nice builds and pretty cool subjects, by me!

Bob
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

At just over 15 tons, the Sheridan is less of a tank and more of an airborne vehicle. AND the material is aluminum not metal, so is it a tank?

Jeff

Nonetheless, it's still considered a light airborne tank. And aluminum is still a metal last time I checked the periodic table. Remember, the biplanes of World War I were made of canvas and wood mostly. The fight aircraft of today are made of aluminum, steel, and god-knows-what-else. Does that make the World War I Spad not considered an aircraft because it's made of a different material? No, of course not. So does that mean the Sheridan is not considered a tank because it's made of aluminum instead of the traditional steel or other material? Not at all. At least, not in my book.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:07 AM UTC
Bob, thanks for the very useful info on the Dragon's PzI.

I still have a lot on my bench, but as I really liked the HB PzII J last year, I'm considering the PzI F.
I might try a 3 tone camo for that small ( but heavy ) tank.

Thanks for the info.

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jeff

Nonetheless, it's still considered a light airborne tank. And aluminum is still a metal last time I checked the periodic table. Remember, the biplanes of World War I were made of canvas and wood mostly. The fight aircraft of today are made of aluminum, steel, and god-knows-what-else. Does that make the World War I Spad not considered an aircraft because it's made of a different material? No, of course not. So does that mean the Sheridan is not considered a tank because it's made of aluminum instead of the traditional steel or other material? Not at all. At least, not in my book.

A YES would have been good enough.

Jeff
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:52 AM UTC
Sorry. Can't help myself sometimes.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob, thanks for the very useful info on the Dragon's PzI.

I still have a lot on my bench, but as I really liked the HB PzII J last year, I'm considering the PzI F.
I might try a 3 tone camo for that small ( but heavy ) tank.

Thanks for the info.

Do it! With confidence! You won't go wrong with that HB I-F kit and ditto all-good for a 3-tone scheme for a later survivor (several remained in service into 1943+, mostly in anti-partisan work).

While it's the Bronco I-F I have and I'll do, I am mighty interested in seeing one of those HB I-F kits built-up. As with all of these odd little (OK, in this case, little-but-bloated - rather like a baby with a lot of BF packed around him! ) rare beasties, do some Google and look around for pics of these in action. There are some, and it will be worth your time to look at some of the detail in the photos as versus whatever applies to the kit. I know that these had some changes made during their service years.

Bob
jhbarford
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 10:09 AM UTC
I have a Tamiya BT7 in my stash. Would this be considered a light tank? If so I might be able to squeeze another campaign in.

Here's hoping.

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:41 AM UTC
Yes, the BT-7 is a light tank.