Australian LAV (ASLAV) (Renamed Topic)
RomeoKilo
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 02:15 PM UTC
Hey mate.

Both the commanders cupola and the driver use the exact same M17 perisope. The ones cast on the Hull are the correct size.

I guess you have bought the AFV Club RWS? It actually comes with the Clear Periscopes from the stryker, which externally look exactly the same as M17. You could cut the tops off and use them.

I hacked them up and used them for the interior on my ASLAV 25 build.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 02:33 PM UTC
Ray
Great minds think alike. I have a Stryker destined to be transformed into a LAV III so I didn't need the clear sprue periscopes and I did as you said, chopped the tops off and they look very nice.
I appreciate your suggestion, thanks.
Bill
Removed by original poster on 07/18/08 - 20:36:15 (GMT).
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:40 AM UTC
G'day all,
Sorry about the late reply in this thread.
Mrs Miller just had a baby boy and I have been flat out.

Below are the new Phase III parts for the PC minus the Trime vane.
All of the PC kits will now have the corrected cupola base in it.
If you allready have the PC kit and want to upgrade it to PIII,
I will add the corrected cupola to the update kit.

Cheers Jason

PS note: the photo with the enginge deck is only placed there on top of the existing deck of the Trump kit.

Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 01:12 AM UTC
Jason
Congratulations on your new baby boy! You HAVE been busy.
The new cupola looks good as does the Phase III cap.
I always wanted ask, what is the bump out on the base of the Commanders Cupola?
I definitely would like this update set, great work.
Regards
Bill
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:14 PM UTC
A general question about kit.
Does Australia have a specific water can or do they use another country import, say British,US or Canadian?
How about the Commanders helmet on the ASLAV PC, is it Aussie specific or is it derived from a British or US one?
Same question about rucksacks, are they Australian made or Canadian US or British...you get the idea. I think it would be good to have some soldiers in the hatches and if I can bash a Hornet head onto another body then I'd be happy.
Are there any contemporary 1/35th Australian soldiers/ ASLAV drivers/commanders or anything that can be easily changed to fit the bill?
Thanks for looking
Bill
RomeoKilo
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 03:28 PM UTC
Hi all

Congratulations on the son Jason!

Phase 3 kit looks great! Ill be taking one of those.

Will,

I never actually noticed the bump until i made this kit. As far as i can tell its nothing special, just a place that cabling can run through without getting the commander tangled in it.

Australia use there own water jerry (i think it is anyway... its made in Australia). Mouse House have them.

The commanders helmet is the same as the Modern US ones.

Issue packs are Australian made, but lots of bloke use there own purchased kit. Also lots of companies in Australia make all diferent types of packs and webbing, lots based on US designs but in DPCU (Disruptive Pattern Camoflage Uniform - commonly known as AUSCAM) or DPDU (Desert Pattern Disruptive Uniform- Desert AUSCAM). So any packs you can find painted right will be OK.

There are no Aussie figures out, but i intend to do the same as you, modify one to suit. I only need the upper half of one for the commanders cupola. All crews in Iraq wear ballsitic goggles, and most wear Anti Flash hoods as well, so face detail painting can be completly ignored! Handy for me anyway as i cant do faces!
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 09:42 PM UTC
G'day,
Thanks for the kind words lads. So I now have my full ASLAV crew

As for figures, well, look below. This will be the gunner. But it is still a work in progress.

Cheers Jason

RomeoKilo
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:21 PM UTC
Now thats what im talking about!!

Can you include the lights and siren box in the Phase 3 upgrade kit so i can do a SECDET car?

Have you got any plans to do a re tooling of the MH F88's? Making them more up to date? Im thinking along the lines of the Carbines with Aimpoint / ACOG, NAD and Surefire?
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:44 AM UTC
Ray
Thanks for those details. The reason I asked about the water cans is that I thought to remove one or two from the racks and replace them with other kit and have the cans stowed on the roof. Having looked at photos however I see the ASLAV crews are very consistent with the placement of their kit, so I don't know. The closest water cans I have found are by Accurate Armour but they are dimensionally much smaller than the Mouse House offering, it would be too noticeable to have them together on the same car.
I see generators stowed on the roof, never seen one of these in plastic or resin and lots of folding chairs and cots, I suspect the Tamiya folded cots would be ok?
I have to check Hornet heads but if as you say that crews use the face covering, goggles and helmet then I'm certain they could be bashed.............but if Jason has these lovely figures in the works then it may not be an issue. This figure looks beautiful Jason, very good to see you're working on those.
Ray what does SECDET stand for?
Edit, Australian Security Detachment (SECDET).
This is a great time to be interested in Aussie ASLAV's!
Thanks guys
Bill
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what does SECDET stand for? I searched the net and found reference to Military Police but no explanation.

SECDET = Security Detachment

More on Wikipedia

Frenchy
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 250 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 01:38 AM UTC
That figure looks the business Jason. Please don't say that they're for personal use only
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 02:44 AM UTC
Cheers Ray and Bill and Dave. Yes they will be comming out. I should have the C/C done in the next week or so and possibly both figures could come with an extra set of arms. I'm thinking of doing one set for the gun car and one set for the PC. And maybe even a couple of Infantry guys as operators. The Hornet heads are nice, but the CVC helmet part (for a better term) is to small.

Stowage as a rule is usually the in the same place from car to car. But this can depend on mission requirements etc.

The ASLAV PC as have been stated before, have mission kits. So the one you have seen with the generator could be used as an ACV or for recharging batteries, running radios and the like.

The water jerrys as Ray said are of an Australian pattern, but I have seen US and British water jerrys used along with normal Aussie pattern and POL's in the rack.

Cheers Jason

Edited after seeing Dave post
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 03:11 AM UTC
Jason
Great news all around.
Any idea if the generators would be diesel or petrol (gasoline)? One would think that you'd want it to operate with what's available instead of hauling an extra kind of fuel. I haven't seen extra diesel being carried by the PC, would a supply vehicle attached to a patrol (if applicable) have that as cargo?
Anyone know of a plastic or resin generator out there in model land?
One more thing, does anyone have a good picture looking down on the deck load of an ASLAV APC? Most I have seen are from the commanders hatch, even someone standing on the back deck would be good.
Thanks
Bill
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone know of a plastic or resin generator out there in model land?

Bill
There's a 4.2 kW gasoline Auxiliary Power Unit (in other words a generator ) included in Tamiya's M577 kit :

HTH
Frenchy
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
Frenchy
Excellent work and I just happen to have the kit in my stash.
This is what I found out. I think the one in the photo is a diesel fueled Yanmar 2500 but it could be a 4500.
Thanks for taking the time to source the photo and the kit.
Regards
Bill
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 06:29 AM UTC
Nowadays pretty much all NATO forces using generators are going to be using diesel powered versions......there are literally no gasoline powered vehicles used in military combat forces....therefore no need to haul gasoline around....except in smaller quanities for other minimally gas powered equipment....that and the lesser chance of ingniting your self with diesel fuel.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 07:28 AM UTC
Jason
Thanks for that confirmation, makes sense.
Excellent T Lav by the way, inspirational.
Regards
Bill
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:26 PM UTC
G'day Bill,

I can speak from experiance on just how tuff thoses gen sets are. You can drive the right track from an M113 over the genny and it will still work.

Quoted Text

One more thing, does anyone have a good picture looking down on the deck load of an ASLAV APC?

This is the best one I could find

Cheers Jason

DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 250 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 01:10 PM UTC
Oops
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 01:23 PM UTC
Jason
That's one way to get a top view of an ASLAV PC, great shot..;o)
Is that a tank tow bar there lashed to the roof and a stretcher on the ground?
Thanks for tracking that one down for me, it'll come in handy.
Regards
Bill
WayneB
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi,

Can anyone help me with the size of the power hatch that needs to be cut into the side of the ASLAV hull between the first and second bump stop? Any tips for getting the rounded corners correct would be welcome.

Secondly I am planning to pose the front two sets of wheels (the steering wheels) at an offset angle. I know that the front wheels will need to be angled slightly more off center than the 2nd set. Can anyone help me with how much of a difference there would be between the two sets of wheels? Or am I getting stuck on the details and the differences between the two sets of wheels are too small to notice?

Oh by the way John, Jason, kudos on the ASLAV PC kit, it’s really good, am enjoying building it. I also liked the AFV CES set as well. Great addition to add that homely feel to 1/35th Aust AFV’s. I am just finishing off a M577 and had to purchase 2 sets so that I had enough brew mugs to kit it out right!

Cheers

Wayne
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 04:52 AM UTC
Wayne
You do have the Mouse House ASLAV APC conversion set for the Trump LAV 25? If so then on the etch fret there is a template to scribe that very hatch, if you don't then I'm certain how to go about doing that. I was about to post the very same question when I read the parts list where it says there is a template included, almost missed it.
I'd like to know the same thing about the wheels so if anyone has the answer I'd like to know as well. I am enjoying this build as well. Does anyone think the Trump rubber wheels look a tad thin (width wise) from the real thing?
(Edit) Frenchy educated me about the Mouse House inserts are meant not for the LAV 25 wheel set but rather for the LAV C2 set which are the newer wider wheels. Luckily I have that in stock and will rob those wheels right away leaving the C2 without wheels.
Jason
I received the missing HUD today, very nice thank you.
Regards
Bill
WayneB
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 05:23 AM UTC
Bill,

I'll take a look at the PE fret. Thanks. I had not thought to look there.

W
WayneB
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC
Does anyone have any photos of ASLAV PCs or in fact any ASLAVs at the School of Armour? I could only find these three shots on the Defense website from exercise Chong Ju at Puckapunyal which I assume are cars from the school. I want to get the markings / callsigns right. I think the school uses the 5 prefix for their callsigns. So I assume they would label their PCs 51D and E. Any guidance here? Is there any other things needed to model a Cav Troop vehicle from the school? Do the ASLAVs have the ‘chain mailed fist’ decal? I had planned to get from the Mouse Armour Decals MAD606 for the Leopards.

I note there are some of the photos of ASLAV’s on the ANZAC Steel website which do look to be taken at Puckapunual. Eg the driver training vehicle. But the photos seem to be taken when the ASLAV first came into service and as such unit specific markings are absent. http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/aslavph_1.htm

Any idea why this vehicle is labeled 51K. Why K? It’s from the defense site at ex Chong Ju.