_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
The Great War 11-11-11 (official thread)
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 02:50 PM UTC
Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, we will be officially starting this Friday!

We are now officially open for posting, the original thread will be locked from this point on. I'm looking forward to seeing all of your great work everyone. Happy modelling and enjoy!

Jeremy H
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
Here is a link to the campaign photo gallery.
The Great War Campaign Photo Gallery
redalb2253
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 09:51 AM UTC
How do I delete photos in the gallery?
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 11:05 AM UTC
Excellent!

Very happy to join this campaign!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 11:50 AM UTC
Hi all. Right now it is just a couple of minutes before 11am, 11-11-11, so I thought I would share this piece of family history as my inspiration for joining the Campaign. Top left is my grandfather, Clifford Raymond (Ray) Rigby who returned, bottom right is his brother Frederick Angus Rowland (Roly) Rigby, who fell.

Lest We Forget
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 03:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How do I delete photos in the gallery?

I cover that in the Armorama Campaign Tutorial thread. It's near the halfway point in the thread.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 03:56 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Just stopping by to declare my intentions. Here.

To start I'll crack the box on the Roden 1:35 Armoured car 1914 Pattern and see if I can get an interesting setting for it in a diorama.

Since WWI is a subject I fancy, I may do one or two others along the way. Probably aircraft & figures. To put me in the mood I'll pop in "Joyeux Noël".

About the film.

Christmas Truce
redalb2253
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 05:30 PM UTC
Got it thanks Gary.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 07:42 PM UTC
Thanks for the campaign gallery link Gary!
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 09:03 PM UTC
That is some really impressive piece of family history, you got there, Damian.
Unfortunately all of my families hertiage was lost during the WWII bombing raids: My family lost their home 3 times to the bombs. My wife's family fared somewhat better, during that time, but still much has been lost. Most recently, I cleared out the basement of the house we now live in in fourth generation and stumbeled across a long-lost tin box of pictures and documents. Aside many family memorabilia the most noteable picture is probably the oldest of the lot, as well.

Unfortunately nobody lives to tell the tale and no dates are given on the photo, but we reckon that the pictures shows the Artillerie-Zug of my wife's great grandfather. We are reasonably certain that he was not a gunner, but belonged to the support train, as he became a professional logistics manager for the German railway in later life probably exploiting on what he had learned as a young man in the war.

Even though I have not decided on the subject I will be building, I am greatly looking forward on all the work that will be submitted.

Cheers,
Guido
Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 10:49 PM UTC
Hi Guys....

Just about to start on my dio for this campaign...... something a little different for a change. Done the research, got the photos, just awaiting the models.....
Funnily enough Stephen I put that exact same DVD on just last night, a really good film....... nothing like abit more inspiration

Simon.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 06:57 AM UTC
It looks like a lot of family history is going to be shared in this campaign, it's nice to see things tie in on a personal level. I'm greatly looking forward to the wealth of knowledge and excellent modelling we are sure to see over the course of this campaign.

Cheers!
JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 07:55 AM UTC
For my family's history I'm not aware of any names or stories, but both my parents are from Slovenia. This tiny country of barely 2 million inhabitants was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I do know there was a few recruiting districts in the area, Laibach (Ljubljana), Cilli (Celje) and in neighbouring Italy there was Trieste.

In keeping with history though, found this interesting entry and have presented it here ad verbatim:
Austria-Hungary in particular paid a hefty price for its participation in the war. By all accounts, 90 percent of all those who went into combat for the Habsburg cause were killed, wounded, captured, or went missing. This terrible statistic is higher than Russia, France, Germany, and even Serbia. And, it is vitally important in showing that the Empire--almost always categorized as a tottering, crumbling ancient edifice with no strength and no will to fight--consisted almost completely of loyal men willing to fight and die for their cause.
Here are the statistics:

1,200,000 killed or missing
2,200,000 prisoners
3,620,000 wounded
7,020,000 total casualties

regards,
Jack
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 08:15 AM UTC
I love that movie, watched it sooo many times!!! Such a good movie, I was actually inspired to build a dio representing the events. But unfortunately I am restricted to, more or less, my local hobby store that does not stock any wwi figures! Could I just build a diorama, with no figure or vehicle?

Regards,
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy,

I've got campaign overload at the moment, so won't have room on the bench for my A7V until new year. That'll still give me 9 months...

Tom
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 04:26 PM UTC
Jack: I have no doubt of what you say, and in truth I haven't heard anyone comment on the Austro-Hungarian Empire being weak or crumbling, but it hasn't ever been a big subject that I know of over here.

Vladimir: Ok, understood. What do you have in mind? If it is something that clearly represents WWI then I am certainly open to it. A diorama depicting No Man's Land or a section of trench depicting an area where soldiers normally would stand post would be good examples.

Tom: Most of us do mate, that's part of why I am running this for a full year. This way it is flexible enough to allow people to work on their projects in a timely matter that suits their needs, while also allowing for much more complex and daring projects.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

As well as doing my Resicast Rolls Royce:

I thought I add something I came across the other day from Firestorm Models:

A little scene from Galliopli with maybe an extra chap added in

Cheers

Al
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 06:30 AM UTC
I seem to recall reading that the Austro-Hungarian Empire was already in a decline. I think it was in a book on Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of WW1.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I seem to recall reading that the Austro-Hungarian Empire was already in a decline. I think it was in a book on Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of WW1.

You are correct Gary. That is actually the only time that it even comes up during formal education. There were obviously several parts of Europe that were undergoing cultural and/or geopolitical changes at different speeds during that time and through the better part of the last century as well.
I guess what we are really talking about are different aspects of the Empire here. I think that the simplified point is that while the Austro-Hungarian Empire was well into a political decline, it's armed forces were still comprised of people who exhibited strong loyalty and fighting spirit.
steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 07:52 AM UTC
hello all
here's what I'm trying to do for the campaign. as a base with the legendary bus Airfix

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Checking in, picked up the Combrig HMS Kent at Telford, will build her 1914 at the time of the Battle of the Falklands.

Will post some pics of the kit at the weekend, need to clear a couple of small projects off the workbench before I get started

Si
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 05:29 AM UTC
Thanks’ Jeremy , will start working on it soon … I am planning to finish it faster than the “What if” dio!

windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jeremy,

I've got campaign overload at the moment, so won't have room on the bench for my A7V until new year. That'll still give me 9 months...

Tom

Ha ha, me too.

Steph , I really like the Airfix omnibus pigeon coop idea. Those bus kits are hard to come by though, especially here on this side of the pond.

I haven't narrowed down my ideas entirely. I'm toying with the idea of entirely scratchbuilding an FWD truck, but it's looking more like I'll modify a Ford Model T into an ambulance. (RPM makes it in 1/48, and if I scratch one in 1/35, then they'd produce a kit shortly thereafter just to bother me. )
That or a figure vignette, as I mentioned earlier in this thread too. I've said a lot of things , but haven't started anything yet.
Cheers,
Sean H.
steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 08:51 AM UTC
hello
Sean, I was lucky, because in France they are very difficult to find. interesting idea of the Ford Model T ambulance. I have long hesitated between the ford T and bus pigeon before deciding.
cordially
steph
spaarndammer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

Some interesting photo's posted here.

I once bought a few photo's of the Great War of which the the dramatic photo below is one. I don't know anything about the photo, but it seems to me French (?) soldiers that probably were captured and rush away from the front line. Meanwhile some German (?) soldiers advance to the frontline. The desolate and destructed landscape add to the drama shown in the photo.

I have a few options for this campaign. Either Verlinden productions Word War 1 trench or M-Models Nightraider. Will decide next year what to do.

Jelger
 _GOTOTOP