Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
The Great War 11-11-11 (official thread)
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 01:57 PM UTC
Hello all,
Great work to all of you. I still have to order my model .

@ Guido,
I have read the rules and the HMS Dreadnought is allowed. She was patrolling the coast during the war and missed Jutland because she was in dry-dock for refit.

@Matthew,
Yes, Your bust is allowed. The rules allow figures 1/6 scale and up and I would think that would also include bust's.

Cheers,
Bruce
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 05:04 PM UTC
Got the wheels painted and attached to the under carriage of the Model - T. I doesn't sit exactly level, but the difference is tiny and will easily be allowed for with groundwork.

Started to work on getting together the two figures I plan on using in the diorama. I will uses pieces from both of these lits to make the two figures in the poses I want.

The first figure will be an officer/observer and I was able to mix and match limbs and body parts from the ICM kit to come up with something that looks like it might work.

The second figure will be a driver. I took arms from one of the Tamiya figures and will combine them with body parts from the ICM figures to get what I want.

Hoping to airbrush the body of the Model - T soon.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 06:54 PM UTC
Morning folks,

Nice work Ian on the Tanks.

Jeffery, the Model T is coming along well, look forward to seeing the ICM figures.

Nicholas, interesting subject, great progress.

Anzac Cove is pretty much done only the missing bayonet to add to the walking figure.

Cheers

Al
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 07:13 PM UTC
Excellent work, Alan!

A great diorama.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 07:16 PM UTC
Morning Jeffery,

Many thanks.

Al

captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 05:44 AM UTC
Great. I saw figures were allowed, but thought that they had to be part of a dio which is not problem, I have lots of WWI stuff lying around, but this is a new acquistion for and I'm excited to get started on it.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC
@Jeffery, great start I look forward to seeng more of the ICM figures.
@Alan Fantastic dio, I have been thinking of getting this kit since you brought it to our attention.
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 09:11 AM UTC
Put the airbrush into action today. I love my Aztec, easy to use, and it gives great results. I used Floquil Rail Brown thinned to a 90:10 ratio and really like the results.

Railmen2000
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 10:20 AM UTC
A belated Happy New Year to all. I like all the diverse builds here. The holidays have taken precedence over models these past few weeks. Once the decorations are down over this weekend, I hope to get back to my project. Looking forward to everyone's progress over this weekend!

Jim
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 06:37 PM UTC
Well it seems that we have no shortage of raw talent to bring in the New Year with! Fantastic work everyone, you guys are already making this campaign a very special one in many respects

Matthew: As Bruce has already stated, your bust is most certainly allowed. This campaign is intended to allow all aspects of modeling related to WWI. I always encourage dioramas for my campaigns, but I have yet to require one as mandatory for any reason.

Alan: Your base turned out just as I hoped it would, excellent blending job! I wouldn't lose any sleep over the bayonet. While it would certainly be nice to have, the fact is that things happen during war and there could be any number of reasons that the bayonet could have been lost.

Ian and Nico: Your step-by-step photos are greatly appreciated, keep them coming!

Jeffrey: Don't be shy about working on those figures, we expect to see in-progress photos on them too

Keep up the great work everyone!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi Matthew and Jeremy,

Thanks guys, it was a really fun project. Jeremy I have the missing part just needs painted and added to the figure.

Cheers guys, I'm enjoying this campaign some interesting builds going on.

Cheers

Al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 10:04 PM UTC
Alan, Jeremy, nice work, a couple of interesting projects coming on well.

I have added the siren platfrom & it's ladders to the fore funnel, and painted the funnels. I a break before commencing the spiders web of funnel stays I have added the deck to the after supperstructre. The kit deck comes with a solid bulwark around the after end and corners, this was in fact railing, that was covered with a canvas dodger, I therefore removed it, and to ease the fitting of the railing 2 boxes also cast into the deck. These have been put aside for re-attachment later. The deck also hase quite an overhang on the port side, so some supports were added from brass rod.

With that in place, and it was quite a neat fit, I started the funnel rigging. The after funnel is nearly done, there are just some longer stays, going forward to the base of the middle funnel, and I will have to get the boat racks in place to work out where the after ones go. The others 2 funnels are a little further behind in the process.

Si
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 10:26 PM UTC
Looking good, Si!
What are you going to do about the chipped funnel rims?
Guido
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 03:51 PM UTC
Very nice Si! If you are looking for a solution to repairing the funnel rims, you can use A+B putty to good effect. Just keep it wet with a little water for lube so that you can smooth it out without it sticking to your fingers or tools.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:45 PM UTC
Facts of WWI:

In the course of the war Great Britain shipped
25,500,000 tons of supplies to France.
5,250,000 tons were ammunition.
6,000,000 tons were feed and fodder for horses and mules.

Source: The 1914 Campaign - August - October 1914, Daniel David, Spellmount 1987, ISBN 0-946771-62-6
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hi Guido- Jeremy.

I will use good old milliput. (It is the reason i haven't painted the funnel tops yet) Typical, round funnels cast onto a round mould plug, two of them rolled of the bench.

Si
grayghost666
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hello All,
The research staff is back to work after the holidays, So any questions you have, Just ask away.
I have found that I have over 130 books on the Great War along with maps of all of the battlefronts plus more in the storage units as they dig them out.
Along with Histories, I have a many books on unit histories, Equipment IE: ( Artillery, Tanks. Calvary, Stormtroopers, ETC),
I am ordering my model and other items this week of next week.
Cheers,
Bruce
Grenadier37
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC
Count me in. I just picked up an Emhar Mk. V "Male" kit. I'll be ordering some tracks soon. Hopefully I'll strat building it by the end of this month. In the mean time, I've got an Eduard Pfalz D III in 1/48 I've been working on. Pics to follow.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi Simon,

Looking good, nice work.

Al
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 08:14 AM UTC
Guido: Keep the trivia coming!

Bruce: I do have one question for you. I am finally going to start building that old MB resin MK IV Male and there is some confusion about the inner faces of the track runs at the rear of the tank. MB chose to mirror the detail from the outer faces but it seems very questionable whether or not this is correct. Darren Baker and a couple of other good fellas came up with all sorts of useful images, but nothing was entirely conclusive and I unfortunately lost most of these photos to a crash on the network as well as on my own computer. If you or your staff could shed any solid light on this I would greatly appreciate it
I'm looking forward to what to seeing your work as well.

Grenadier: Great, we're looking forward to some photos!
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hello Jeremy,
I am looking for a book by Peter Chamberlain called Tanks of World War 1, England and German.
It should have what you are looking for, I hope.
My scanner blew up, So I went and ordered a new Professional one that may take some time to deliver. It is 3 feet by 6 feet so I do not have to worry about size of the books any more.
When I find the book, I will try to Photo the photograph of what you want and see if it will come out OK.
Cheers,
Bruce
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 05:59 PM UTC
Got some preliminary work on my two figures done tonight. The standing figure looks to be a fairly straight forward assembly. The driver, on the other hand, will require some extensive modification. Slow progress, but progress.

P1140016

P1140020

P1140019
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 09:41 AM UTC
Okay, some more pics of the "Whippet with guts! This is sloooooooow, sloooooooow going!

Remade the engines and some internal bits and this is how it looks at the moment.

Radiator fans cut from a beer can.

One of the gear sticks

The "Pit"

And some pics showing how it goes together:

I really need to get my scratchbuilding skills up to scratch.

JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .I am going to sculpt a figure of a French pilot who called Maurice Boyau. I decided this after seeing a picture if him in a magazine dedicated to military planes.

A little bit of History:
Maurice Boyau was a rugbyman (XV rugby), 6 times in the national french team and he was one time French champion.
During the war he first fought in infantry and joined air army in 1915; he had 35 official air victories. He continued to play rugby during the war in the army team and lost two times in front of the New-Zealand army team! He was shot to death in September of 1918. The city of Dax (south west of France), where he played rugby before the war gave his name to the local stadium. . .That's all, any kind of comment is welcome.
Cheers Nico

Well known for his skill at rugby, Boyau served in the infantry before the war. In 1915, while serving as a driver in the Army Service Corps, he requested a transfer to the French Air Service. Obtaining a Pilot's Brevet on 28 November 1915, he served as an instructor at Buc before being posted to N77 in September 1916. Before he was killed in action, Boyau downed 21 balloons and 14 enemy aircraft.

Service: French Air Service.
Units: N77; Spa77.
Victories: 35.
Born: 08 May 1888.
Place of Birth: Mustapha, Algeria.
Died: 16 September 1918.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 07:43 AM UTC
Bruce: Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with, and no rush.

Jeffrey: Excellent, keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you run into any obstacles with your figure conversions. Plenty of talent here that I'm sure would be more than willing to help.

Murdo: Your Whippet build is truly inspiring, and I am taking notes as I hope to build one in the future.

Stephen: Looking sharp, and that looks like an excellent reference photo to get you started on the face scuplting.