Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
The Great War: Dawning of a New Age
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hi Johan, and welcome back! It looks like you have plenty of work to do still, and It looks like you are also planning a small diorama perhaps?

Normally we require a photo showing the unstarted kit/project and date. I'm not requiring a dated photo for this campaign, just keep us posted with your progress
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:09 PM UTC
Hi all

It's been some time since I've posted anything here - house guests occupying most of my time. I cemented the trunions in place on the Paris Gun/Wilhelm Geschütze and gave it a coat of light gray RustOleum automotive primer so it looks halfway decent.

The carriage is dry fitted to the base ring as some detail work has been deferred until the base is installed in the gun emplacement.

German railway guns were painted with camouflage, but I haven't seen any mottling in photos of the Paris guns, so I'll stick with gray primer for the time being. The color is pretty close to what was used on the superstructure of German Imperial Navy ships, and I'll eventually add rust streaks etc.

Still a lot to be done, but it's come a long way from the stack of plastic sheets and tubes it was at the start.

Cheers,

Dick

Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Johan, and welcome back! It looks like you have plenty of work to do still, and It looks like you are also planning a small diorama perhaps?

Normally we require a photo showing the unstarted kit/project and date. I'm not requiring a dated photo for this campaign, just keep us posted with your progress

Thanks! You are right, i'm doing a little vignette as well. A bit cliche but the plan is to have the tank cross a small trench, chew up some barbwire etc

Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:32 PM UTC
A little update to catch up with the progress i made so far:

I got the base coat of color on. I went with a light sea grey. dont want to hit it with a too dark color when the scale is so smale:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dlv8gvk1255kjx/20140106_180444.jpg

Then i got a firs oil-wash with burn umber on. Think it contrast the base coat in a good way!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gsm0zx3mlcfjm8/20140106_235319.jpg

Some weathering of the tracks. First painted them black, washed with burnt umber followed by burnt sienna and then drybrush gun metal on top

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcu84zpk5plokg0/20140107_221743.jpg

Bought a jar of pigments since ive been seeing all these amazing results around the internet This stuff wasnt around when i last fiddled so i just HAD to try! I think it turned out ok altough im sure the next time i go at it will be better hehe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo8gp9gghehaldk/20140108_080040.jpg

And thats where she sits today. Now i focus on getting the base ready and then go from there!

Edit: Argh, cant get the pics to show up.. Added URL links for now. Anyone else had problems with linking dropbox images to the forum?
Removed by original poster on 01/13/14 - 16:47:12 (GMT).
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Simon,
I like your work on the ship.

I'm not a big ship builder, though I built a few back in the day. said, I've always liked the destroyers, but have probably built more aircraft carriers than any other ship class. I built the old Revell (or Monogram) USS Constitution. A couple of Battleships. I wouldn't mind trying to build some of those again.

Any recommendations on a good floaty thing to build?

Hi Alex,

If you like destroyers, there are some nice both WW2 and modern destroyers from Trumpeter & Dragon in 1/350th in plastic. A nice straight forward build, which makes an interesting little subject is the Trumpeter USS England, Buckley class DE, both GMM and WEM produce some very nice etch for them. I have built four of these converted into Captain class Frigates in RN service.

Hope that helps.

Si
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:08 AM UTC
Hi Simon,

Good progress.

Hi Dick,

Excellent work on the build, hat's off to you.

Cheers

Al
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 01:02 PM UTC
Thanks Simon. I'll have to give the Trumpeter vessels a look. 1/350th scale would be about a foot in length for a WW2 destroyer right?
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 09:40 PM UTC

Got "iteration 1" of the base up, old school papier mache

Dont have that many photos of the process but basically i then got some air-drying clay on, sculpted a bit and finally covered it in a mix of white glue and red pepper(!, didn't have anything else handy )

Finally this morning i got some base paint on followed by a wash of raw umber
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 05:46 AM UTC
Fantastic! Good action pose and realistic looking groundwork and finish on the tank itself. Waiting to see how you finish this one up!
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 06:48 AM UTC
Hi Johan,

Nice work on the tank and trench. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Cheers

Dick
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi Alex,

The Buckley would be slightly smaller, but a fleet destroyer, WW2 era, would be about a foot long, nice size to handle and a decent amount of detail.

Hi Dick,

The gun is looking impressive, great stuff.

Si
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi Johan,

Welcome to the campaign, nice work on the tank so far.

Cheers

Al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 08:14 AM UTC
On with the funnels, masking off the white bands, just to make it harder they did not go all the way round, hence the third funnel has tape going over the top to try and keep the gaps lined up.

The masking tape removed and sat in place.

In this scheme, according to R A Burst's British Battleships of World War 1, the tripod legs also had random white stripes on them. Added below.

Making the splinter matting, because of minor unevenness in casting all the sections are slightly different, so each piece will have t be made separately.

More soon.

Si.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi Simon,

You have the patience of a Saint. Nice work.

Al
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 06:02 AM UTC
Thanks Simon.

Now for a really quick update. I mounted the track and running gear to the tank hull. I've actually started on the figures, but no pictures yet. The ones I took were really badly blurred.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 09:47 AM UTC
Thanks Al,

No More than anybody else on here!

Welcome, Alex,

Nice work on the muddying up, looks really effective, looking forward to seeing the figures.

Si
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:31 AM UTC
Hi Alex,

This is looking good.

Cheers

Al
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi Alex,

Nice work on the tank. I've recently acquired an Emhar Whippet kit, and with your model as inspiration, I may heap enough mud onto the kit's wretched tracks to make them halfway presentable.

Cheers

Dick
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 05:47 PM UTC
Thanks guys.

RPM sent a fret of PE with the kit so I spent most of the evening working on that. The PE has some nice bits, but a good bit of it is superfluous. The PE inherits the 90s RPM-ish nature of the kit. I'm sort of cherry-picking the PE pieces I want and even reworking others...like the pioneer tool clamps. I'll finish that up tomorrow and get it ready for paint....hopefully.
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Armorama: 280 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:08 PM UTC
Gent,s having been without my computer for a while when it was at the repair shop i have been following the great builds that have been going on here. I have still been building when off line and have started on the Emhar Mk V tank and this is what i have got to so far

beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:14 PM UTC
And a few more of the model near built and the painting stated

And with the decals going on
beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:26 PM UTC
And the tank getting put on to a base

Still some work to do to get it all muddy around the tracks and the rest of the base work to finish off
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:59 AM UTC
Hi Keith.

Looking good, nice work so far. How was the build|? Nice base you have for it too. Excellent progress.

Cheers

Al
beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi Alan it is not a bad kit I think the fit of the main parts was OK but those tracks are a right pain in the rear end had to use mini clamps all over to get them to stick then as is the norm you find that Friul bring out a set for the Mk v series and the whippet which is what I will be looking for next. But for now will get this one all nice and dirty and must try and finish some other stuff that i have on bench
Cheers Keith