Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
The Great War: Dawning of a New Age
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hey jeff if your looking at saving some money, check this company out. Their out of Newyork so shipping can be slow, but the prices are pretty good. I have the very kit you are question about and the details are not to bad.

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/manufacturers/MiniArt_Models/Buildings/MIA00036033/product.php?s=0&t=6&pg=2&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&e=0&man=mia
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 04:16 AM UTC
Thanks Chris! That is a very good price.

~ Jeff
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 04:23 AM UTC
Your welcome, wasn't sure if the 46 you had included shipping or not. But their prices tend to be really good although their slow to process and ship.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm off to Duxford this Sunday so may well come back with the 6 inch Howitzer and Model T Ambulance lol. Gerard's new figure is progressing well and speaking with George Moore work is progressing well on the Holt Tractor, so something unusual to look forward to there.

It's been a slow year for me, only a few figures completed, but hopefully I can get some building done soon.

Cheers

Al

Sounds good Al On the Whippet, the AA kit seems to be well liked and I wouldn't hesitate to go with it. The only one I know of as an alternative is the old Emhar kit which needs a LOT of love to turn out a respectable build. It's your call on what you feel you have time and/or money for.

Quoted Text

So do you guys think the Mini Art Dio I have pictured is worth 46 bucks?

I have no experience with these things and think I might have to had real turf/grass to make it real?

Any advice would be great, I just don't want to make a big mistake and it turns out to be nothing at all.

~ Jeff

The short answer is yes, it is worth it. This one will be more straightforward kit to work with because you don't have to worry about windows and other little details all over it. I would plan on adding some vegetation, grass/flowers/bushes, whatever you feel compliments your dio best. The turf is your call. The bases are certainly a good starting point, and most people like to add additional rubble/debri/turf to them, but you don't have to do that to produce a good looking product with them.
Do take a look at their website and copy/download their instructions for working with their kits. The biggest thing you will want to pay attention to is scoring around the walls to remove the excess plastic without damaging the walls themselves.

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
Thanks guys for your input!

Believe it or not but it will be my first attempt at a dio of any level and I want to get everything I need so to be concentrating on the building part than the collecting part.

~ Jeff
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 01:45 PM UTC
I had an Emhar kit for only about two weeks until a friend wanted more than I did. So besides the tracks, what other issues do the kits have?

I may want to add a second tank to the build.

~ Jeff
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hi guys. I have enlisted, and was thinking of 1/32 Sopwith Camel, but at a show yesterday and purchased amongst other things a number of 120mm figs of WW1. Plan a dio, does this count?

Pete
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Just back from a grand day out at Duxford. Picked up the Resicast 6inch Howitzer (WW1 Version) and the Model T Ford. Managed to restrain my self on the AA Whippet although it looks like a great kit.

Options a plenty.

Al
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have no experience with these things and think I might have to had real turf/grass to make it real?

Yes, you absolutely do have to add additional grou0ndwork to enhance the realism of these bases. The walls and the base are all made from vacuum formed plastic, so there will be small pips to fill in and the corners and centre of the panels to reinforce.

Take a look here for my review of a similar product:

http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/Reviews/showReview.aspx?ID=2616&Type=FB

Static grass makes the best scale grass and some actual found dirt from the driveway or street gutter outside your house will do wonders to add depth to the roadway as it is also quite smooth. Add some fine twigs and some of the available long grass products and the vegitation will look good. The representation of the plaster & bricks on the diorama kit parts is good, but could stand to be enhanced to really make the product stand out.

HTH

Paul
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 01:28 PM UTC
Jeff: I believe the overall dimensions are pretty accurate. It's the little details that need addressed, along with some scratchbuilding. AA also has a detail set with some boxes and stuff that will work on the Emhar kit. We had a very nice build of the Emhar kit in the last campaign, I believe I have all of the photos. I'll get back to you when I have a chance to find them and look them over.

Pete: Absolutely! I encourage dioramas in all of my campaigns, and a dio does not need a vehicle in it for this campaign.

Alan: You always have the good stuff!
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 11:44 PM UTC
Thanks Jeremy
trench and figure it is then.

pete
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 04:02 AM UTC
I am joining in on this.

I am going to be working on a WWI display for the Air Defense Artillery Museum here at Fort Sill, OK, so I might as well join this campaign to get pointers and to model subject matter that is new to what I usually work on.

Looking forward to this.

Cheers,
James
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 08:18 AM UTC
Sounds like fun James, and glad to have you with us! We have some very dedicated WWI aircraft builders for sure. Which aircraft are you planning on building?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy,

Heavy on the bank account though. Started a little more work on the Somme dio form last year.

Al

cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am joining in on this.

I am going to be working on a WWI display for the Air Defense Artillery Museum here at Fort Sill, OK, so I might as well join this campaign to get pointers and to model subject matter that is new to what I usually work on.

Looking forward to this.

Cheers,
James

THAT sounds cool.

My original plan for this campaign was to do a tank, but I changed my mind. Work is sending me to Ft. Sill for 3 weeks, so I'm going to build something from that excellent artillery museum you have out there. I should be able to find a cool WWI piece to model.

Chris
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like fun James, and glad to have you with us! We have some very dedicated WWI aircraft builders for sure. Which aircraft are you planning on building?

Hey Jeremy,

It's good to be able to expand my horizons a bit. I am not doing any aircraft. I'll be doing some figures of some early Air Defense Artillery. The first three figures are going to be a Lewis Gun crew that is in the anti-aircraft configuration in a trenchline. Then there is going to be an artillery piece that is converted to anti-air use and then another machine gun team. It is for a concept model of what the Air Defense Artillery Museum is going to look like once they get their new building built. The director of the museum wants to build everything out in 1/35th scale and have it laid out like it will be in the new museum. It is a pretty fun project to be a part of.
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 01:19 PM UTC
Chris,

They do have some excellent displays at both the Field Artillery and the Air Defense Artillery museums. I'm sure you'll find something excellent to build from either one of them.

There is also a lot of cool stuff not on display in the works to become displays once the restorations are done.

Cheers,
James
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 06:39 PM UTC
Alan: I understand completely. I fear I am going to end up with a rather large FT-17 for my build

Chris: Anything and everything goes, so feel free to continue to explore anything that will work for you.

James: Ah, thank you for clarifying that. It sounds like a very fun project!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 11:54 PM UTC
I may be changing my mind after seeing this:

http://www.meng-model.com/new.php?id=369

Looks like a better build than the over-priced resin Little Willie and more suitable for actual combat scenarios too.

~ Jeff
cdharwins
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 01:54 AM UTC
I'm torn. My artillery plans might go out the window after this announcement.

If both Meng and Italeri release these kits, this might turn into the "FT-17 Campaign"

Chris
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 04:09 AM UTC
Well seeing the amount of Model T's in the last campaign, I would fully expect to see plenty of FT-17's in this one
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 07:07 AM UTC
I think this is great news, lets hope we see some more WW1 tanks also with full interiors in plastic.

Al

cdharwins
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chris,

They do have some excellent displays at both the Field Artillery and the Air Defense Artillery museums. I'm sure you'll find something excellent to build from either one of them.

There is also a lot of cool stuff not on display in the works to become displays once the restorations are done.

Cheers,
James

James,

Is the ADA museum open to the public? I was under the impression they were only letting the ADA AIT Soldiers in there.

Chris
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC
Chris,

The ADA Museum is open to the public. Currently it is located in an old hangar near the airfield while the buildings it had previously been housed in upon it's move from Fort Bliss are being renovated. PM me when you plan to go and I'll try to meet you there.

James
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 05:36 AM UTC

Actually, they're in New Hampshire, and I always get 2-day shipping - but then, I live in Boston. I'd say their prices for almost anything are the best, so I'm curious if you find lower elsewhere. Also great service - they let me add to an existing order, while a lot of places won't.